POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Food for thought... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:09:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Food for thought... (Message 1 to 10 of 60)
From: Bob Hughes
Subject: Re: Food for thought...
Date: 2 Sep 1999 18:44:51
Message: <37cefde3@news.povray.org>
It's the same world upside down or not. If I say your "paradox" is
paradoxical we'd be heading in the general direction of thought you
implied. Which is why I have to believe there isn't really a reason to
figure in such a way that leads to nonsense.
On the POV-Ray aspect of this possibly is the way objects, etc., can
be hidden completely from view (no reflection or shadows in the scene
to show otherwise) and yet still be there.  A sound in a forest if a
tree falls kind of thing.  Of course there's sound, but did the tree
fall if no ones there to hear it?  Yes.

Hope you'll all please excuse me for even trying to write this.
Philosophy was never my forte.

Bob  (<<< not a emoticon)

Larry Fontaine <lfo### [at] isdnet> wrote in message
> Nothing can be proven without an assumption.
> For example, numbers can only be defined using numbers. Numbers were
> made up by humans out of thin air. This thought came about from
> something my math teacher was saying about college courses where 1=1
> cannot be assumed. As part of a psychology class required for
becoming a
> teacher, there was a test that said, "Prove to me that there's a
tree
> outside that window." The only person who got an A wrote, "Prove to
me
> there's a window."
> Going along this tangent, one can also argue that morals cannot
exist
> without bias. A religious value of right vs. wrong takes the
position
> that good is good and evil is evil, period, but from the "evil"
> perspective, good is evil and evil is good. Kind of like the way
maps
> from the Southern hemisphere show North going downward.
> All this could lead to the idea that everything is a paradox.
> Actually, that would then make this theory self-defeating, bringing
down
> everything mankind believes with it. Which is maybe why arguments
always
> seem to end with irrational statements and nothing gained.
>
> How does this relate to POVray? Some may say it doesn't, but it goes
> along the same line as the discussion about "Eve's first morn" in
p.b.i
> that asks, "What makes something appear real?" That's why I decided
> post it, anyway.
>
> Post your reactions to my paradoxism thoery. It's always fun to hear
> people argue.

Post a reply to this message