POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Food for thought... : Re: Food for thought... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:12:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Food for thought...
From: Mike
Date: 2 Sep 1999 22:53:48
Message: <37CF3641.DF9C4B25@aol.com>
> This thought came about from
> something my math teacher was saying about college courses where 1=1
> cannot be assumed.

1 is arbitrary.  1=1 is redundant arbitration.

> As part of a psychology class required for becoming a
> teacher, there was a test that said, "Prove to me that there's a tree
> outside that window." The only person who got an A wrote, "Prove to me
> there's a window."

Prove to me that course existed and I might believe you passed it.  I hated
professors like that.  Had an art teacher that forever berated me about
doing anything realistic, so I drew slop with my eyes closed and he say I
improved.  Bah!

> Going along this tangent, one can also argue that morals cannot exist
> without bias. A religious value of right vs. wrong takes the position
> that good is good and evil is evil, period, but from the "evil"
> perspective, good is evil and evil is good.

Evil is when you do something to someone else what you wouln't want done
back to you.  The exception being evil people who generally don't care about
anything or anyone.  But, you say, I could live in a world of evil because
evil would be good!  Well, since murder is considered evil from a good
perspective, it would be good to murder in the evil world, therefore you
wouldn't be alive for very long at all.

> Kind of like the way maps
> from the Southern hemisphere show North going downward.
> All this could lead to the idea that everything is a paradox.

There is a North and a South but there's no rule that says one is up or
down.   And very few things are two game birds.

> Actually, that would then make this theory self-defeating, bringing down
> everything mankind believes with it. Which is maybe why arguments always
> seem to end with irrational statements and nothing gained.

Sometime people agree to disagree, while other times they use a bit of what
little they do agree on to come to a better conclusion.  I think you just
brought this up so you could steal my precious!

> Post your reactions to my paradoxism thoery. It's always fun to hear
> people argue.

I think blue is the best color.

-Mike