POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Skyvase Rendering Times Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Skyvase Rendering Times (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Alan Kong
Subject: Re: Skyvase Rendering Times
Date: 19 Aug 1999 16:12:20
Message: <37bc6121.135215952@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 01:55:03 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>...but I'm sure there must be some routines
>in Pov that could be used for a reliable benchmark. Probably a combination
>of math functions, high order primitives, and complex surface finishes that
>require large numbers of ray intersection tests. All of this can still be
>done without the need to consume large quantities of memory so that disk
>swapping can be avoided on even under equipped machines.

  Sounds like a fun project for the rest of the summer. It might be best to
omit experimental features such as radiosity, as their implementation may
change too soon for the benchmark to gain a following. The scene should be
complex enough to give the faster machines a workout, yet not so 'tough' as
to render (pun intended) the slower machines useless for several days. I
think it should also be aesthetically pleasing and not just a loop-generated
scene with thousands of reflective and refractive objects.

--
Alan
news.povray.org - where POV-Ray enthusiasts around the world can get