POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Skyvase Rendering Times : Smart Benchmark: Skyvase Rendering Times Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Smart Benchmark: Skyvase Rendering Times
From: Matt Swarm
Date: 19 Aug 1999 17:04:51
Message: <37bc7173@news.povray.org>
>The scene should be
>complex enough to give the faster machines a workout, yet not so 'tough' as
>to render (pun intended) the slower machines useless for several days. I
>think it should also be aesthetically pleasing and not just a
loop-generated
>scene with thousands of reflective and refractive objects.

Several have commented on this issue.

I agree on the need, but fear that a conventional program approach is
destined to fail.

The problem is that the gap between the slowest machines and the fastest is
growing nonlinearly.   What makes this so is the 'Grove effect' plus growth
in distributive and cluster computing.

I propose a Smart Benchmark, which senses how long a routine is taking, and
terminates after a set period, projecting the time for completion of the
'full' program-- whatever the machine.   All this code is (or SHOULD be)
deterministic, nonrandom, so extrapolation should be straightforward.
Maybe an animation, with option to deduct for disk access times.

My benchmarking experience is limited-- there may be things lke this out
there, even if non-POV.

Matt