POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Skyvase Rendering Times : Benchmark Concerns- Skyvase Rendering Times Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Benchmark Concerns- Skyvase Rendering Times
From: Matt Swarm
Date: 19 Aug 1999 16:30:27
Message: <37bc6963@news.povray.org>
Hi Ken:

In essence, you are asking if I believe meaningful comparison is possible.
I sure do.

I also believe that it's possible to properly compare apples and oranges--
but only by asking the RIGHT question!   'Which is better for your health?'
is not a meaningful question.   'Which is better if one has scurvey?' is
measurable and thus answerable.

Similarly, 'Which is the more powerful CPU?' should be sharpened by: Power
to do WHAT?  CPU A and B may be virtually equal as word processors, while A
could blow the socks off B while searching for prime numbers.   A question
about "raw computing power" is usually a raw, unripened question.

Similarly, "true test of performance" is an unfinished premise.   It
requires the "performing what" to be complete.    Even that requires
judgment.   Ten percent better performance at "calculating spreadsheets" is
a silly reason to buy a machine if it only 'calculates' a few minutes a
day-- better to buy based upon color and cute buttons.  Yet, that same
superiority in a worker-bee machine can be worth baskets o' bucks.

I would **never** exclude the comparison of different classes of machines--
those are *exactly* the kinds of comparisons we MUST make to choose hardware
for a particular job.

My invocation of benchmark caveats was more cautionary than exclusionary.
Use them with full awareness of what we really looking at in the numbers.
Assume nothing.

I had a blast going through the benchmark sites before deciding upon
hardware.  Looked at everything from 66MHz on up.  In the end,  I chose a
path which entails CPUs and motherboard which are not quite the most
efficient or the best immediate value per MFLOP-- but they have a 100%+
performance upgrade path and attractive motherboard features.

Matt