POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3dnoise: help me understand. Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:14:58 EDT (-0400)
  3dnoise: help me understand. (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Re: 3dnoise: help me understand.
Date: 5 Oct 1999 21:46:38
Message: <37faa9fe@news.povray.org>
Hey man, why don't you just try:

#declare f=.040;
#declare R=399;
isosurface {
         function
          {noise3d(x*f,y*f,z*f)+((x^2+y^2+z^2)/R^2)
           }
         accuracy 0.01
               threshold 1
                bounded_by {
                sphere{0,500}
                    }
        pigment{Green}
        finish{ambient 0.1}
        normal {crackle}

        }

And then sleep on the results??

"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> SPHERE!
>
> "Jerome M. BERGER" wrote:
>
> > "Greg M. Johnson" wrote:
> > >
> > > noise3d (x*f, y*f, z*f)*(R-sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2))
> > >
> > > Nope.  This is a solid sphere.
> > > I've used R=500 and a dozen orders of magnitude for f.
> > >
> > > I've had a little luck with adding an "*f" term to the right side.  But this
> > > is not the concept, although intuitively the math must be VERY CLOSE....
> > >
> >         What about noise3d(...)-sqrt(...)/R ?
> >
> >                 Jerome
> >
> > --
> > *******************************

> > * they'll tell you what can't * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
> > * be done and why...          * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger
> > * Then do it.                 *
> > *******************************

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Popov
Date: 6 Oct 1999 14:16:36
Message: <HQr7N1l2odvbF64yU9CGl3JJviVJ@4ax.com>
On Tue, 05 Oct 1999 19:13:26 -0400, "Greg M. Johnson"
<gre### [at] my-dejanewscom> wrote:

>Yes, you are linearly scaling the structure. Your density will not change as a
>function of position if you make scalar operations like those.  I want to make
>a sphere that is "100% dense" at r=0, but gradually tapers off to zero or a
>minimum density at r=some R.   This is easy to do with media.

noise3d + min(0,1-sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z))

and play with the threshold. I have only used the superpatch once but
I can guess that this formula will be 100% dense below a certain
radius (probably sqrt(threshold) ) and fade to noise3d at a distance 1
from the origin. Try it out.

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message