POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Quick Math Question Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Quick Math Question (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: David Heys
Subject: Quick Math Question
Date: 16 Sep 1999 14:02:41
Message: <37E12B7C.B029BC61@hotmail.com>
o.k., So it's been more years than I wish to count since I've been in
high school. :{P

Anyhow, since I have yet to get off my butt and go buy a decent high
school math book, I'll ask my math question here:

If you know the lengths of two sides of a triangle, what is the formula
to figure out the length of the third side?

ie,

Side A = 10 units
Side B = 7 units
Side C = ??

David

Post a reply to this message

Is it a right angle? if so it is A squared plus B squared equals C squared
where C is the side that connects at two non-right angles.

    |\
A  | \ C
    |__\
David Heys <cel### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> o.k., So it's been more years than I wish to count since I've been in
> high school. :{P
>
> Anyhow, since I have yet to get off my butt and go buy a decent high
> school math book, I'll ask my math question here:
>
> If you know the lengths of two sides of a triangle, what is the formula
> to figure out the length of the third side?
>
> ie,
>
> Side A = 10 units
> Side B = 7 units
> Side C = ??
>
> David

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:40:13 -0800, David Heys wrote:
>o.k., So it's been more years than I wish to count since I've been in
>high school. :{P
>
>Anyhow, since I have yet to get off my butt and go buy a decent high
>school math book, I'll ask my math question here:
>
>If you know the lengths of two sides of a triangle, what is the formula
>to figure out the length of the third side?
>
>ie,
>
>Side A = 10 units
>Side B = 7 units
>Side C = ??

You don't have enough information.  The third side could be anywhere
from 3 to 17 units in length.  You need an angle, too.

Post a reply to this message

I don't know but I think C=7.... ha ha it could actually be most
anything based upon the angle of sides A and B.  The Pythagorean
Theorem is c2=a2+b2 for 90 degree right angles.  Other triangles may
vary  : )
Have a look at this: http://library.advanced.org/20991/geo/tri_i.html
and this:
http://argyll.epsb.edmonton.ab.ca/jreed/tlemath8/tledisk3/3202.htm

Bob

David Heys <cel### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> o.k., So it's been more years than I wish to count since I've been
in
> high school. :{P
>
> Anyhow, since I have yet to get off my butt and go buy a decent high
> school math book, I'll ask my math question here:
>
> If you know the lengths of two sides of a triangle, what is the
formula
> to figure out the length of the third side?
>
> ie,
>
> Side A = 10 units
> Side B = 7 units
> Side C = ??