POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media Smaller than Container? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:13:19 EDT (-0400)
  Media Smaller than Container? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Kyle Stamper
Subject: Media Smaller than Container?
Date: 23 Jul 1999 21:24:02
Message: <379914D0.1428CC0@geocities.com>
I'm fairly new to media, but the recent post "The Mummy...." has got me
thinking and interested in particle type effects. If I make sphere, I
can make the sphere hazy, the *whole* sphere hazy. That's not what I
want to do though, I don't want the media to be fully visible throughout
the entire object. I don't want the media to fill the entire container,
all the way to the edges. I would like it to be blobby....ya know?
Here's an example of what I'm trying to do.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/hv2/images/comet_440.jpg

Is this even remotely possible to achieve in PovRay? Can this be done
with 1 object and 1 media? Any advice,
code, or ridicule is welcome.

	Kyle Stamper

Post a reply to this message

> I'm fairly new to media, but the recent post "The Mummy...." has got me
> thinking and interested in particle type effects. If I make sphere, I
> can make the sphere hazy, the *whole* sphere hazy. That's not what I
> want to do though, I don't want the media to be fully visible throughout
> the entire object. I don't want the media to fill the entire container,
> all the way to the edges. I would like it to be blobby....ya know?
> Here's an example of what I'm trying to do.
>
> http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/hv2/images/comet_440.jpg
>
> Is this even remotely possible to achieve in PovRay? Can this be done
> with 1 object and 1 media? Any advice,
> code, or ridicule is welcome.
>
>         Kyle Stamper

  On June 30 1999 I posted source in povray.text.scene-file for a multiple
density pattern. Take a look at this and after the spherical pattern try
something like a bozo or granite pattern and see if this is what you are
looking for.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net
http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/links.htm

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 21:20:16 -0400, Kyle Stamper
<joe### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:

>I'm fairly new to media, but the recent post "The Mummy...." has got me
>thinking and interested in particle type effects. If I make sphere, I
>can make the sphere hazy, the *whole* sphere hazy. That's not what I
>want to do though, I don't want the media to be fully visible throughout
>the entire object. I don't want the media to fill the entire container,
>all the way to the edges. I would like it to be blobby....ya know?
>Here's an example of what I'm trying to do.
>
>http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/hv2/images/comet_440.jpg
>
>Is this even remotely possible to achieve in PovRay? Can this be done
>with 1 object and 1 media? Any advice,
>code, or ridicule is welcome.
>
>	Kyle Stamper

This is possible in POV. Use a blob with threshold 0.0001 as a
container (thanks Chris :) ) and place a spherical media in each blob.
It works just fine for smoke and other pyrotechics.

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message

Kyle Stamper <joe### [at] geocitiescom> wrote in message
news:379### [at] geocitiescom...
> I'm fairly new to media, but the recent post "The Mummy...." has got me
> thinking and interested in particle type effects. If I make sphere, I
> can make the sphere hazy, the *whole* sphere hazy.

Just in case I know what you are talking about (not a good bet), are you
saying that your media goes all the way to the edges of your container, but
you only want them to go part way? So that the shape of the container is not
seen?

If so, have you tried scaling down the media? Scale should be the inverse of
your turbulence or thereabouts.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm fairly new to media, but the recent post "The Mummy...." has got me
> thinking and interested in particle type effects. If I make sphere, I
> can make the sphere hazy, the *whole* sphere hazy. That's not what I
> want to do though, I don't want the media to be fully visible throughout
> the entire object. I don't want the media to fill the entire container,
> all the way to the edges. I would like it to be blobby....ya know?
> Here's an example of what I'm trying to do.

If your density looks like this:

density { spherical turbulence .5
  density_map { [0 rgb .1] [1 rgb 1] }
}

The media will appear throughout the entire container object.  If, on the
other hand, your density looks like this:

density { spherical turbulence .5
  density_map { [.001 rgb 0] [.001 rgb .1] [1 rgb 1] }
}

The pattern will fade to nothing at its edges.

Hope this helps,
John

Post a reply to this message

Ahh yes, thank you very much everyone, I believe I have a good idea of
what I need to do now. Thanks again.

	Kyle Stamper