POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media Smaller than Container? : Re: Media Smaller than Container? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media Smaller than Container?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 24 Jul 1999 11:40:16
Message: <3799E12D.6A3E66DA@erols.com>
Kyle Stamper wrote:

> I'm fairly new to media, but the recent post "The Mummy...." has got me
> thinking and interested in particle type effects. If I make sphere, I
> can make the sphere hazy, the *whole* sphere hazy. That's not what I
> want to do though, I don't want the media to be fully visible throughout
> the entire object. I don't want the media to fill the entire container,
> all the way to the edges. I would like it to be blobby....ya know?
> Here's an example of what I'm trying to do.

If your density looks like this:

density { spherical turbulence .5
  density_map { [0 rgb .1] [1 rgb 1] }
}

The media will appear throughout the entire container object.  If, on the
other hand, your density looks like this:

density { spherical turbulence .5
  density_map { [.001 rgb 0] [.001 rgb .1] [1 rgb 1] }
}

The pattern will fade to nothing at its edges.

Hope this helps,
John