POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request - Texture modifiers Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:24:08 EDT (-0400)
  Feature request - Texture modifiers (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Rune S  Johansen
Subject: Feature request - Texture modifiers
Date: 19 Jul 1999 21:00:03
Message: <3793ca13@news.povray.org>
I read a message by SamuelT.

He requested a feature to be able to multiply,
add, subtract, and difference, etc. pigments
and normals the following way:

add {
 pigment{wood}
 pigment{gradient y}
}

If that is possible, why not take it a step further?
What about being able to treat textures, pigments, and normals almost like
vectors?

Examples:

object {
 My_object
 pigment {
  pigment{wood} + pigment{gradient y}
 }
}

#declare Texture3 =
texture { ( Texture1 - 0.3 ) * Texture2 + 0.6 }

#declare LowBumps =
normal { HighBumps / 5 }

This is not at all a complete and finished idea.
Just something I thought might turn into something useful.

Would it be possible?

Greetings,

Rune S. Johansen

---
Visit The RSJ Website at http://welcome.to/rsj
for 3D images including still lives, dragons,
mathematical shapes, and more. Stereograms,
tutorials, The POV Desktop Theme, all the jokes
"you know you have been raytracing too long when",

You may be happy to know (I know I am) that with the help of the new
superpatch, this kind of stuff is possible. You can do stuff like this:

#declare P1=function{
 pigment{crackle}
}

#declare P2=function{
 pigment{gradient y sine_wave}
}

sphere<0,0,0>,1
 pigment{
  function P1(x,y,z)+P2(x,y,z)
 }
}

Samuel Benge

"Rune S. Johansen" wrote:

> I read a message by SamuelT.
>
> He requested a feature to be able to multiply,
> add, subtract, and difference, etc. pigments
> and normals the following way:
>
> add {
>  pigment{wood}
>  pigment{gradient y}
> }
>
> If that is possible, why not take it a step further?
> What about being able to treat textures, pigments, and normals almost like
> vectors?
>
> Examples:
>
> object {
>  My_object
>  pigment {
>   pigment{wood} + pigment{gradient y}
>  }
> }
>
> #declare Texture3 =
> texture { ( Texture1 - 0.3 ) * Texture2 + 0.6 }
>
> #declare LowBumps =
> normal { HighBumps / 5 }
>
> This is not at all a complete and finished idea.
> Just something I thought might turn into something useful.
>
> Would it be possible?
>
> Greetings,
>
> Rune S. Johansen
>
> ---
> Visit The RSJ Website at http://welcome.to/rsj
> for 3D images including still lives, dragons,
> mathematical shapes, and more. Stereograms,
> tutorials, The POV Desktop Theme, all the jokes
> "you know you have been raytracing too long when",
> miscellaneous other things, and a lot of fun!

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)

(Sorry, can't test now; got ~3 day render running...)

Margus

"SamuelT." wrote:

> You may be happy to know (I know I am) that with the help of the new
> superpatch, this kind of stuff is possible. You can do stuff like this:
>
> #declare P1=function{
>  pigment{crackle}
> }
>
> #declare P2=function{