POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : this semicolon .... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:12:38 EDT (-0400)
  this semicolon .... (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Uwe Zimmermann
Subject: this semicolon ....
Date: 7 Jul 1999 10:00:35
Message: <37835D82.F336C42B@ele.kth.se>
Hej there!

It's about this funny little sign ";" which has become obligate after
some
#declare and #local directives. It's not really a bug, just a little bit
of inconvenience - or may be I'll just have to get used to it (after the
quantum leap from v3.0 to v3.1e).

It's just that I "automatically" set a semicolon after all those
declarations (as in other languages like Pascal, JavaScript etc.), of
course ending up with an error message, if the declaration concerned an
object, texture etc. - or simply said everything that's not a float,
vector or color....

I have no idea of the parsing behind the POV scenes but wouldn't it be
nice to at least ignore a semicolon after all definition statements - it
would make it a little bit more logical (at least to me).

But perhaps not the program should be changed but the user....

     Uwe.

Post a reply to this message

Uwe Zimmermann <uwe### [at] elekthse> wrote:
: It's just that I "automatically" set a semicolon after all those
: declarations (as in other languages like Pascal, JavaScript etc.), of
: course ending up with an error message, if the declaration concerned an
: object, texture etc. - or simply said everything that's not a float,
: vector or color....

  I often type somehting like: MyMacro(1,2);
  This, of course, gives an error...

Uwe Zimmermann <uwe### [at] elekthse> wrote:
> Hej there!
>
> It's about this funny little sign ";" which has become obligate after
> some
> #declare and #local directives. It's not really a bug, just a little bit
> of inconvenience - or may be I'll just have to get used to it (after the
> quantum leap from v3.0 to v3.1e).
>
> It's just that I "automatically" set a semicolon after all those
> declarations (as in other languages like Pascal, JavaScript etc.), of
> course ending up with an error message, if the declaration concerned an
> object, texture etc. - or simply said everything that's not a float,
> vector or color....
>
> I have no idea of the parsing behind the POV scenes but wouldn't it be
> nice to at least ignore a semicolon after all definition statements - it
> would make it a little bit more logical (at least to me).
>

> But perhaps not the program should be changed but the user....
>
>      Uwe.

...and I thought I was the only person with that problem :)

The function 'Parse_Semi_Colon()' in the source is designed to give
a warning if it encounters a different token, but of course could be
changed to silently go on where a semicolon isn't required.

The tedious work would be to search for all the places in the parser
where one had put the additional calls to this function.

     Gerald

Post a reply to this message