POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : it might be an idea Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:39:17 EDT (-0400)
  it might be an idea (Message 11 to 20 of 30)
From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: Re: it might be an idea
Date: 1 Jul 1999 03:09:45
Message: <377b1439@news.povray.org>
Marc Schimmler <sch### [at] icauni-stuttgartde> wrote:
: if the povray users would place their homepages
: on povray.org and allowed some advertising.

  If this ever becomes true, I have an opinion about advertising:

  Advertising in web pages is OK, as long as it does NOT use:

  a) Animated gifs. They are extremely annoying and distracting and they
do not do any good for the page or the advertisement. It's a shame netscape
does not have an option to disable animated gifs. At least you can press ESC
to stop the gifs and I do that every time.

  b) Java scripts. Often java scripts are used to make something special
(like keeping the advertisement always fixed at the same place on the
browser window). This is usually also very annoying. Also usually, when
you have java scripts disabled (like I do), you get several lines of
garbage at the end of the page (very usual in geocities pages) which do not
do any good to the page or the advertisement.

  c) Java scripts that open a new window. This is the worst thing ever. It
should be banned from earth. There are many reasons why this is a very, very
bad idea:
  Firstly, at least I am very annoyed with pages which do something I don't
want them to do. They should confine themselves into the space I have
reserved to them and I consider very annoying if they start to invade my
desktop without my permission, wasting valuable desktop space with totally
useless advertisement windows.
  Secondly, if a page opens a new window with a java script, it will open
it EACH time you go to that page (I don't know if this is true for every
browser, but I have seen this). This means that if you are surfing using
the method go-to-subpage, return-to-main-page, go-to-subpage, and so on,
your desktop will be filled with more and more copies of the same window.
My friend tried this once. He just ignored the popping adveritsement window
thinking that it would open just once. Soon he noticed that it wasn't true.
He finally disabled java scripts as I recommended.
  Links that open a new browser window are also very annoying. And the bad
thing about them is that you can't disable them because they are not java
scripts.
  Links that work only when java scripts are enabled are a very stupid idea.

  d) Filling the page with tens of little advertisements is also a very
bad idea.
  I often try an URL and I end in a page which is completely full of stuff.
Little advertisements everywhere, etc. After searching I found a text among
them in a very little font that says that the URL can't be retrieved. That
absolutely does not give a very good image of that service provider.

  One static banner gif at the beginning of the page should be enough.
  Usually people automatically ignore them, though... But it's much better
than throwing stuff on people's faces.