POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : it might be an idea : Re: it might be an idea Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:27:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: it might be an idea
From: Marjorie Graterol
Date: 1 Jul 1999 12:19:45
Message: <377b9521@news.povray.org>
POV-Ray Newsadmin <newsadmin@[remove]povray.org> wrote in message
news:377b85ac.16084843@news.povray.org...
> I am open to the idea of doing this, provided it was worthwhile.
>
> I own the domain 'raytrace.com' which I could use for hosting. i.e. you
could
> have 'yourname.raytrace.com', or 'www.raytrace.com/yourname', depending on
the
> type of server you want (a full virtual server like the former would cost
> more). The pages would be physically located on the POV-Ray server.
>
> But it's not worthwhile unless I get some idea of how many folks would pay
for
> this, how much they'd be willing to pay for setup, and how much per month
> they'd pay.

ISPs I have used, tripod premium first  and now icom.com,  say that the
payment is monthly, but you have to pay per year in advance, which I think
is fair, due to the nature of the service.   I pay an average of $10
monthly, besides the domain hosting.

> We can't compete against the 'free' web sites, and wouldn't even be
competitive
> against most of the non-free ones, but at least in the process you'll get
an
> ad-free ad popup-free web site and help fund this system at the same time.

That's true. It is also true that the name worths and worths a lot.  This
would be a big project, in view of the details.

-Who will be able to have a webpage there, and based on what?
-People involved in raytracing do not reach a million human beings.  On the
down side, we'll have to pay a little more.  On the good side, Hey, Not
everybody does raytracing!
-That concentration of raytracing works and utilities would bring many
unwanted advertisers willing to put their hands everywhere., that's
dangerous., But it is a good challenge, since POV is freeware.

Just two cents
Marjorie Graterol