POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Warning about Geocities Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:37:59 EDT (-0400)
  A Warning about Geocities (Message 26 to 35 of 35)
From: Ken
Subject: Re: A Warning about Geocities
Date: 5 Jul 1999 19:27:21
Message: <37813ED4.6EF421E@pacbell.net>
Remco de Korte wrote:

> Cliff Bowman wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 05 Jul 1999 16:28:35 +0200, Remco de Korte
> > <rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:
> >
> > It's possible that their agreement _could_ (only could) infringe the
> > POV legal docs. I've not looked at these for a long time (far too
> > long) but the rough gist seems to be "this software is free, don't use
> > it to make money". If Yahoo sell POV-created images for a profit,
> > having extracted your (my, whoever's) permission to do so by allowing
> > them any use they desire of the object - then is someone breaking
> > POV's terms? They're certainly breaking the spirit of the idea of free
> > software, IMHO.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Cliff Bowman
>
> Up comes another issue. I read the povlegal-docs in the beginning but such
> things tend to evaporate from my memory. Is it true that you're not allowed to
> sell POV-images for a profit? I thought that was restricted to the program. Am I
> mistaken? How about programs that work with POVRay?
>
> Regards,
>
> Remco
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcodek/pov.html

The first provision in Pov Legal clearly states the following:

  Permission is granted to the user to use the software and associated files
in this package to create and render images. The use of this software for the
purpose of creating images is completely free. The creator of a scene file and
the image created from the scene file, retains all rights to the image and scene
file they created and may use them for any purpose commercial or non-commercial.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message