POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Warning about Geocities : Re: A Warning about Geocities Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:15:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Warning about Geocities
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 6 Jul 1999 13:29:42
Message: <37820d1e.21329857@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 06 Jul 1999 01:34:08 -0400, Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom>
wrote:

>Cliff Bowman wrote:
> [ note the clever use of the delete key ]
>
>> There's nothing stopping them gathering up images
>> from across their servers and making an expensive coffee-table book
>> from them.
>
>Or more likely, press The Yahoo! DVD-ROM
>"Now with over 100,000 web sites!!"
>"Decrease Web site downloading time by over 1500% !!!"
>"Search locally from your computer using YahooQL!"
>"Now only $59.99 from our secure web server!"
>
>(No, i don't have an url, i made it up.)
>--
But, even with my misconceptions aside, it does make frighteningly
logical sense doesn't it? After all (as I've learnt to my pain over
the last 10 years) businesses are generally after profit first,
second, and third. With some of the great stuff that's on Geocities it
almost cries out for being stored on a CD/DVD and marketed this way.
If Yahoo's agreement allows them to have all the source for free, and
it's on their own servers, how long is it going to take for them to
think of it?

Worst yet (possibly) I could see Yahoo releasing a CD/DVD which could,
theoretically, compete with the "officially unofficial" IRC CD-ROM. I
don't want these fellas to lose a penny without damn good reason.

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/
PS change ".duffcom" to ".net" if replying via e-mail