POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help Creating 3D logo Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:17:36 EDT (-0400)
  Help Creating 3D logo (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Mike
Subject: Help Creating 3D logo
Date: 24 Jun 1999 11:28:45
Message: <37724EAE.D29E73F7@nacstock.ac.uk>
Hi Folks

I'm trying to create a 3D logo from a flat black and white version. I've
tried doing using a height field. When I render an animated sequence the
logo looks like it's transparent at the sides. Does anyone know why?

Is there a better way of doing this? Here is the pov file and the
original logo. Also frame 10 of the animation.

Cheers

Mike
mik### [at] nacstockacuk

#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"

global_settings
{assumed_gamma 1.0}

// ----------------------------------------
//camera{location  <0.0, 0.5, -4.0> direction 1.5*z right     4/3*x
look_at   <0.0, 0.0,  0.0>}
//camera{location  <4, 0.5, 0.0> direction 1.5*z right     4/3*x
look_at   <0.0, 0.0,  0.0>}
camera{ location <3*sin(2*pi*clock),0,-3*cos(2*pi*clock)> look_at 0}

sky_sphere
{
  pigment
  {
    gradient y
    color_map { [0.0 color blue 0.6] [1.0 color rgb 1] }
  }
}

light_source
{
  0*x // light's position (translated below)
  color red 1.0  green 1.0  blue 1.0  // light's color
  translate <-30, 30, 30>
}

light_source
{
  0*x // light's position (translated below)
  color red 1.0  green 1.0  blue 1.0  // light's color
  translate <-30, 30, -30>
}

// ----------------------------------------
plane { y, -1 pigment {color rgb <0.7,0.5,0.3>}}

#declare logo=intersection{

height_field {
        tga "naclogoi.tga"
        smooth
        texture {Polished_Chrome}
        rotate <90,0,180>
        }
box
{
  <-1, -1, -1>
  < 1,  1,  1>
  scale <0.5, 0.5 .5>
  translate < -0.5,0.5,1>
}
}

object {logo
        texture{Polished_Chrome}
        rotate <0, 180, 0>
        translate <-.5,-.5,0>
}

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'frame10.jpg' (17 KB) Download 'naclogo.jpg' (25 KB)

Preview of image 'frame10.jpg'
frame10.jpg

Preview of image 'naclogo.jpg'
naclogo.jpg

> I'm trying to create a 3D logo from a flat black and white version. I've
> tried doing using a height field. When I render an animated sequence the
> logo looks like it's transparent at the sides. Does anyone know why?
>
> Is there a better way of doing this? Here is the pov file and the
> original logo. Also frame 10 of the animation.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mike
> mik### [at] nacstockacuk

If you replace the chrome texture you have in two places with

  pigment { rgb 1 }
    finish { ambient .5 diffuse .5 }

and then render the scene you will find there is nothing wrong with
your logo object (I used the first camera to test this). You are the
victim of a highly reflective object and no more. If you are having
any real problems it is with the roughness you have on the objects
edges from a poor quality height field image. The lack of straight
edges in the image is giving you very rough edges in the HF object
and appears as if the edges have been chipped away.

  Please don't post binaries to this group in the future. Instead post
your question here and the source file in the povray.binaries.scene-files
group with a reference to it's location.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message