POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh Request Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  Mesh Request (Message 7 to 16 of 16)
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Subject: Re: Mesh Request
Date: 18 May 1999 07:10:09
Message: <37433c5d.14857103@194.174.214.110>
Hi Ken, you recently wrote in povray.general:

>   I just remembered one great source of Pov related train models is in
> the Moray objects collection. One artist has donated some excellent
> models there and are available for download. 3DWin will convert them
> to Pov for you.
Sorry, no, only Moray will convert it to POV for you (that being it's
sole reason for existence<g>).

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Lance Birch
Date: 18 May 1999 07:14:31
Message: <37413d87.0@news.povray.org>
I know that Cutting Edge in Brisbane Australia recently completed a
mini-series drama on the disaster... however they were using MAX and I doubt
that they would be willing to give you the models...  HMMmmm...

I don't know where you could get models that would suit the style from that
era...  I don't know of any...

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone
For a totally different experience, visit my Chroma Key Website:
Colorblind - http://listen.to/colorblind
Steven Jones wrote in message <3740C815.A27D36CF@tsn.cc>...
>I'm looking for modern, preferably Australian trains.  The disaster
>occured in 1977, if that helps.

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 18 May 1999 07:14:43
Message: <37413D59.A403B439@pacbell.net>
Lutz Kretzschmar wrote:

> Hi Ken, you recently wrote in povray.general:
>
> >   I just remembered one great source of Pov related train models is in
> > the Moray objects collection. One artist has donated some excellent
> > models there and are available for download. 3DWin will convert them
> > to Pov for you.
> Sorry, no, only Moray will convert it to POV for you (that being it's
> sole reason for existence<g>).
>
> - Lutz
>   email : lut### [at] stmuccom
>   Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

  Oh well I got 50% of that right and that is better than I did on
tests when I was in school.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Steven Jones
Date: 18 May 1999 18:05:44
Message: <3741D623.68575AC1@tsn.cc>
I know the mini-series you are referring to.  It's 'Day of the Roses',
and no they didn't use MAX at all.  They built a full-size aluminium
mock-up of the train.

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 18 May 1999 22:10:20
Message: <37420F41.ADA5CBB9@pacbell.net>
Steven Jones wrote:

> I'm looking for modern, preferably Australian trains.  The disaster
> occured in 1977, if that helps.

  Where would you like me to park your new train Sir ?

  I have located a nicely modeled diesel engine in the .3ds file format.
I could send it to you as is or convert it first to Pov format for you.
I still need to know more about what kind of cars it was towing when
whatever disater it was in occured. I have in my possesion one train
model that has a steam locomotive but fairly modern looking utility
cars behind it. Of those there are a couple of flat cars, a box car or
two and maybe a liquid tank car. I also have a Caboose on Cd I could
throw into the deal for you.
  If it is passenger cars that you need I have as yet to find any that
I can personaly convert to Pov format. I found one model set of very
high quality passenger cars but they were compressed in the .SIT archive
format which means they are Mad Mac models. I think I recall the
extension was also a Mac 3d file format as well and I have zilch for
experience with anything called Mac. The download size was near 1.7 megs
and I was not thrilled about downloading it as an experiment in cross
platform futility. It is a crying shame too as the passenger cars are
extremely well done and looked very realistic as well. They even have
that mid 60's to early 70's passenger car look to them.
   I have a couple of more possibilities I will check out later today
or tommorrow but it would help a lot if you could be just a tad more
specific about your requirements as to the nature of the train type
objects you require for your project. I think I even have a Pov file
around here soemwhere that makes realistic looking rails for the tracks.

 Let me know soon so I will know how to proceed.

From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 19 May 1999 00:41:29
Message: <374232e9.0@news.povray.org>
Oooo... can I have a steam train? With a car or two, please? My 3 yr old boy
loves trains and I would like to render one for the wallpaper of his
computer. I made a Fisher Price train, and am working on some Thomas' and
the J.P. Huntington, but I would love a ready made Locomotive!

Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
> Steven Jones wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking for modern, preferably Australian trains.  The disaster
> > occured in 1977, if that helps.
>
>   Where would you like me to park your new train Sir ?
>
>   I have located a nicely modeled diesel engine in the .3ds file format.
> I could send it to you as is or convert it first to Pov format for you.
> I still need to know more about what kind of cars it was towing when
> whatever disater it was in occured. I have in my possesion one train
> model that has a steam locomotive but fairly modern looking utility
> cars behind it. Of those there are a couple of flat cars, a box car or
> two and maybe a liquid tank car. I also have a Caboose on Cd I could
> throw into the deal for you

Post a reply to this message

From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 19 May 1999 03:30:44
Message: <37425A93.39184A3E@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Bill DeWitt wrote:

> Oooo... can I have a steam train? With a car or two, please? My 3 yr old boy
> loves trains and I would like to render one for the wallpaper of his
> computer. I made a Fisher Price train, and am working on some Thomas' and
> the J.P. Huntington, but I would love a ready made Locomotive!

Rudy Velthuis has posted some fine pictures of Thomas some Month ago at
p.b.i.
Have a look at them.
BTW, where is Rudy?

Marc
--
Marc Schimmler

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 22 May 1999 17:19:27
Message: <3747114f.0@news.povray.org>
Well, I searched through one by one and didn't find it. Do these posts end
up on Deja News?..... Apparently not...

Marc Schimmler <sch### [at] icauni-stuttgartde> wrote in message
> Bill DeWitt wrote:
> >
> > Oooo... can I have a steam train? With a car or two, please? My 3 yr old
boy
> > loves trains and I would like to render one for the wallpaper of his
> > computer. I made a Fisher Price train, and am working on some Thomas'
and
> > the J.P. Huntington, but I would love a ready made Locomotive!
>
> Rudy Velthuis has posted some fine pictures of Thomas some Month ago at
> p.b.i.
> Have a look at them.
> BTW, where is Rudy?
>

> Marc
> --
> Marc Schimmler

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 22 May 1999 20:22:09
Message: <37473BE4.39208CCC@pacbell.net>
Bill DeWitt wrote:

> Well, I searched through one by one and didn't find it. Do these posts end
> up on Deja News?..... Apparently not...

 The announcement from the administration of this group last week should
have answered that question for you. All access to this group is strictly
limited to this server only. No feeds to the usenet news system or any
other outside group or system is strictly prohibited. No you will not
find any articles from here on deja-news or from any other source for that
matter.
 On the other hand all of the images ever posted in the images group are
still there and freely accessible. If you don't see them available to
you it is because you probably have not downloaded enough of the message
headers going back that far. If you are running netscape you can simply
choose from the file menu the option to download next x/number of messages
until you go back to whatever date you wish to review. I am sure other
newsgroup programs offer a similar choice.

  If you do not want to store that many message headings on your system
and really want to browse through them all you can do so through the
ftp access to the messages on this group. It wont let you post any but
you review every message in every group ever posted here using this method.

http://www.povray.org/cgi-bin/dnewsweb?cmd=listall&group=povray

  I will warn you that the last method is slow and a bit difficult to
navigate but for some people that are behind fire walls it is the only
way for them to access the materials here.

  Concerning your request for one of the train models in pov format
I need to know what level of detail you are looking for. I have
or can get some that have 15 pcs. and others with as many as 100
individual pieces which all need their own textures applied. It all
depends on how much work you want to put into it. I do have one that
is, lets call it of medium detail, and has 8 cars included with it.
It is a cargo train and there are no passenger cars. I can also
throw in a caboose if the model group does not already have it
included.

  Let me know so I can get it out of the way. I took care of part
of the original posters request so while on I am on a roll it's time
for you to take advantage.  If you wait, I might loose my paper list
of train resources my wife keeps trying to throw away when I am not
looking, and I would hate to have to collect the names of all of
these sites again.

Regards,

From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 22 May 1999 21:27:23
Message: <37474b6b.0@news.povray.org>

> Bill DeWitt wrote:
> >
> > Well, I searched through one by one and didn't find it. Do these posts
end
> > up on Deja News?..... Apparently not...
>
>  The announcement from the administration of this group last week should
> have answered that question for you.

Thanks Ken, I did read that, but had to check anyway. Just stubborn I guess.

>   Concerning your request for one of the train models in pov format
> I need to know what level of detail you are looking for. I have
> or can get some that have 15 pcs. and others with as many as 100
> individual pieces which all need their own textures applied. It all
> depends on how much work you want to put into it. I do have one that
> is, lets call it of medium detail, and has 8 cars included with it.
> It is a cargo train and there are no passenger cars. I can also
> throw in a caboose if the model group does not already have it
> included

    Considering that I am begging for other folks hard work to be sent to me
for free, I will take anything I can get. I am not afraid of the more
complex ones, but can use the simpler ones too. The train I am working on
looks to have several thousand pieces, and is likely to take me years to
finish. When it is done it will be cool, but I would like something to make
pictures of now.

    The medium detail one sounds perfect, if you can't send them all. But as
the wise old programmer said, (beggars != choosers)