POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : WELL OT : Water Cooling you CPU Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:27:02 EDT (-0400)
  WELL OT : Water Cooling you CPU (Message 21 to 30 of 32)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Peter Popov
Subject: Re: WELL OT : Water Cooling you CPU
Date: 20 May 1999 07:24:08
Message: <374415e2.1022633@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 19 May 1999 22:12:57 +0300, "Margus Ramst"
<mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote:

>I guess great many Russians, Bulgarians etc. enjoy that advantage :)
>
>Margus
>
>Nieminen Mika wrote in message <37429eb6.0@news.povray.org>...
>>  I think it's a very cool thing to have the word 'pov' in one's surname.

Well, yeah, "-ov" is one of the endings for a masculine noun in the
genitive case (whatever is left if it anyway), like "-ev", "-ski",
"-in", "-ich" etc. seen in Slavic names. As I've explained before,
"Popov" literally means "of the priest's" (my grand-grand-dad was a
priest and hence the family name). The "po-" prefix, on the other
hand, indicates a comparative form of any adjective or adverb (or a
noun used as an adjective or adverb, for that matter), so "po-pov"
literally means "More POV", where POV acts as an adjective (POVving,
POVed, POVish, POVely, POVable etc.)

Fun :)

---------
Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message

Are you currently adopting? Say, a 40 year old or there abouts? Never mind
though if POV time doesn't actually increase...

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe

: Are you currently adopting? Say, a 40 year old or there abouts? Never mind
: though if POV time doesn't actually increase...

  You have been raytracing too long when you seriously think about
changing your surname to have the word 'pov' in it.

>"Popov" literally means "of the priest's" (my grand-grand-dad was a
>priest and hence the family name).

In most cases (when I know the language), I can guess the origin of a
surname. My own is an exception.

>The "po-" prefix, on the other
>hand, indicates a comparative form of any adjective or adverb (or a
>noun used as an adjective or adverb, for that matter), so "po-pov"
>literally means "More POV", where POV acts as an adjective (POVving,
>POVed, POVish, POVely, POVable etc.)
>
>Fun :)

AAArrrrGH!!! Grammar! Take it away, take it away!!!!

Margus

Post a reply to this message