POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : WELL OT : Water Cooling you CPU : Re: WELL OT : Water Cooling you CPU Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:23:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WELL OT : Water Cooling you CPU
From: Peter Popov
Date: 20 May 1999 07:24:08
Message: <374415e2.1022633@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 19 May 1999 22:12:57 +0300, "Margus Ramst"
<mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote:

>I guess great many Russians, Bulgarians etc. enjoy that advantage :)
>
>Margus
>
>Nieminen Mika wrote in message <37429eb6.0@news.povray.org>...
>>  I think it's a very cool thing to have the word 'pov' in one's surname.

Well, yeah, "-ov" is one of the endings for a masculine noun in the
genitive case (whatever is left if it anyway), like "-ev", "-ski",
"-in", "-ich" etc. seen in Slavic names. As I've explained before,
"Popov" literally means "of the priest's" (my grand-grand-dad was a
priest and hence the family name). The "po-" prefix, on the other
hand, indicates a comparative form of any adjective or adverb (or a
noun used as an adjective or adverb, for that matter), so "po-pov"
literally means "More POV", where POV acts as an adjective (POVving,
POVed, POVish, POVely, POVable etc.)

Fun :)

---------
Peter Popov