POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Library paths and image maps Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:27:59 EDT (-0400)
  Library paths and image maps (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Bob Hughes
Subject: Re: Library paths and image maps
Date: 6 May 1999 14:58:32
Message: <3731D816.5A04A496@aol.com>
Apparently it is now 25 library paths, as Ron has found stated in the
source. I used 12 paths in the command-line and 13 in the Povray.ini and
the scene file accessed them okay. Upon using one more (for a total of 26)
in the Povray.ini there was an error. The same happens if a 26th library
path is added to the command-line. As far as limitations go for
command-line library paths, the 256 character limit in DOS is what would
prevent the possibility of up to 25 paths if anything. However, I managed
to get about 512 (twice that of 256?) characters into the Windows 3.1e
version command-line dialog. Hard to count in there, but apparently at
least that many characters are enterable.
This is news to me as I had thought the limit was 20 library paths all
this time, not to mention the 256 character limit in a command-line not
existing either. These should be written down somewhere, and perhaps they
are but I failed to find anything in the Scene help file.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe

Btw, the current pov scene directory (folder) is searched as well anyway.
So this should amount to a possible total of 26 paths.

On Wed, 05 May 1999 17:46:26 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>Bob Hughes wrote:
>>
>> Just to make a note here. I've used more than 10 library paths and have
>> been able to use any new additional path once the Povray.ini has been
>> edited and saved without need to close and restart POV-Ray for Windows
>> v3.1e. The Scene help file says library paths are limited to 10 and
>> appears to be in error about this.
>> Anyone care to acknowledge this?
>
>  If by that you mean you want me to add more than ten library paths
>to my ini file and then design a scene that will use one source file
>from each directory just to back up you statement I would like to go
>on record as saying I support you on this without feeling a need to
>verify it thank you very much.

  Ken, I have read and re-read and re-re-read countless times (count +
1, even) and have come to the foregone conclusion that yes, indeed,
though Bob does not name you specifically in his request for
acknowledgement, your expertise has been called upon once again.
However, if I am in error than I am not so proud as to deny that I
ever posted this message in the groups.
--
Alan
povray.org - official home of the Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer

I thought Ken was set to auto_acknowlegement=On by default.

Alan Kong wrote:

>   Ken, I have read and re-read and re-re-read countless times (count +
> 1, even) and have come to the foregone conclusion that yes, indeed,
> though Bob does not name you specifically in his request for
> acknowledgement, your expertise has been called upon once again.
> However, if I am in error than I am not so proud as to deny that I
> ever posted this message in the groups.
> --
> Alan
> povray.org - official home of the Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer
> news.povray.org - where POV-Ray enthusiasts from around the world
>                 - get together to exchange ideas and experiences

 omniVERSE: beyond the universe

On Fri, 07 May 1999 12:22:51 -0500, Bob Hughes <inv### [at] aolcom>
wrote:

>I thought Ken was set to auto_acknowlegement=On by default.

  Someday we should have a look at Ken's main .ini. I'd be willing to
bet there are some interesting things growing there <s>.