POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : TGA files containing HF_Gray_16 data, Question 2 Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:15:43 EDT (-0400)
  TGA files containing HF_Gray_16 data, Question 2 (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: F VERBAAS
Subject: TGA files containing HF_Gray_16 data, Question 2
Date: 4 Apr 1999 17:17:06
Message: <3707c8c2.0@news.povray.org>
The docs state:
"The TGA and PPM file formats may be used as a storage device for 16 bit
numbers rather than an image file. These formats use the red and green bytes
of each pixel to store the high and low bytes of a height value. "

When I inspect a POV-generated HF_Gray_16 TGA file I find the red channel
all zero, but green and blue channels containing the high order and low
order bytes respectively.

Could it be that the docs differ from the code?

Frans

Post a reply to this message

Sure you didn't start on the wrong byte?  ;-)

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone

Post a reply to this message

> "The TGA and PPM file formats may be used as a storage device for 16 bit
> numbers rather than an image file. These formats use the red and green bytes
> of each pixel to store the high and low bytes of a height value. "
>
> When I inspect a POV-generated HF_Gray_16 TGA file I find the red channel
> all zero, but green and blue channels containing the high order and low
> order bytes respectively.
>
> Could it be that the docs differ from the code?
>
> Frans

TGA and BMP have color bytes in BGR order, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not
familiar with the PPM format, but I suspect the same applies. Also, the pixel
order in BMP/TGA is from bottom left to top right.
I'm not sure what header bytes define the file as a HF_16 TGA, possibly a
non-standard number in the color depth byte. Should be quite easy to find out,
if you need it.

Margus

Post a reply to this message

>TGA and BMP have color bytes in BGR order, if I'm not mistaken.

You are perfectly right! I mixed up the sequence for 2 byte entries and
three byte entries. For some reason the HF_Gray_16 format uses three bytes
per pixel.

Thanks for helping me out

Frans

Post a reply to this message