POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Meshes and Textures Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:28:48 EDT (-0400)
  Meshes and Textures (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Matthew Bennett
Subject: Re: Meshes and Textures
Date: 29 Mar 1999 14:10:48
Message: <36ffd038.0@news.povray.org>
Gordon wrote in message <36ffa449.0@news.povray.org>...
>Thanks Ken, but I am not using unions of traingles, but a mesh object. Can
>you recast your answer to use meshes? Please don't take this the wrong way,
>but I do know about the world origin principle. The fact that the triangles
>don't touch isn't relevant. What I am doing is creating a complete mesh
>object, each of which has a texture assigned to it. Then I want to use LOTS
>of copies of that object. I would assume that like any other object type,
if
>I make copies and rotate them the texture goes along.
<snip>

I agree that the mesh object textures do behaving strangely if they are
declared individually per triangle (I tested it myself).  However, as the
POV docs themselves say, it wastes memory to include individual textures per
triangle in meshes, and perhaps other problems as has been seen.

In light of this, though I agree the help file is misleading, perhaps it's
safe to say this:

If you want to individually texture triangles, declare them all in a union
instead.  This should only be a case of changing the word "mesh" to "union"
:)
However, if you want to take advantage of the memory reducing properties of
a mesh, make sure you only give it just one, overall texture (which works
fine) - otherwise the memory advantage (which seems to be the ~only~
advantage) is lost.  The example file "chesmsh.pov" (and "chess.inc") only
declare global textures to the mesh objects, which seems to be the correct
way.

Hope this clears things up a bit - should someone post a reply to this
problem posted to the bug report newsgroup with an update?..

Matt

Post a reply to this message