POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh Texturing Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Mesh Texturing (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Gordon
Subject: Mesh Texturing
Date: 10 Mar 1999 00:48:49
Message: <36e607c1.0@news.povray.org>
Hi All,
I was curious if POVRay handles interiors for meshes in the same way as
textures. In other words, you MUST only use predefined interiors, and, it
only stores a pointer to the interior if you copy the object rather than
copying the definition.

Also, is there any way you can declare a combination of a texture and an
interior so it can be passed to a macro and used to apply to a
smooth_triangle. Related to this, I can creat an array of intermediate
textures from two pre-defined textures using a calculated "average"
texture_map, can anyone think of a way to do the same with arbitrary
interiors (which may of course contain several media statements and several
densities).

Thanks for any input,

Gordon
<gbe### [at] birdcameroncomau>

Post a reply to this message

> I was curious if POVRay handles interiors for meshes in the same way as
> textures. In other words, you MUST only use predefined interiors, and, it
> only stores a pointer to the interior if you copy the object rather than
> copying the definition.

I'm unsure what you mean here ?

> Also, is there any way you can declare a combination of a texture and an
> interior so it can be passed to a macro and used to apply to a
> smooth_triangle. Related to this, I can creat an array of intermediate
> textures from two pre-defined textures using a calculated "average"
> texture_map, can anyone think of a way to do the same with arbitrary
> interiors (which may of course contain several media statements and several
> densities).
>
> Thanks for any input,
>
> Gordon
> <gbe### [at] birdcameroncomau>

  New with v3.1 was the addition of the material statement. It will
allow you to combine interiors with textures as a single declared
"material". This allows you a lot of possible combinations and if
used in a loop or clock function can be made to vary as would any
other pigment or texture type. I haven't experimented with it much
as I should have by now but it certainly has potenetial.

As far as the arbitrary interiors I have little to offer. I haven't
tried combining interiors inside a material statement but it should
be possible. Maybe its will do what you need.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

Yeh, I think I'm stuck. What I've done in my Particle System is allo the
user to supply an array of texures and an array of times and then generate a
bunch of intermediate textures using average and a texture_map to apply to
the particles. This way I can blend smoothly between textures. I wanted to
do the same with an array of "materials". Problem is I can't do a blend
between say 25% of Material1 and 75% of Material2 in the same way. Oh well,
back to the drawing board (or conceptualizing board).

Thanks
Gordon