POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Escher's Another World Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  Escher's Another World (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: John M  Dlugosz
Subject: Escher's Another World
Date: 14 Feb 1999 01:42:06
Message: <36c6703e.0@news.povray.org>
I'm working on a POV model inspired by Escher's <I>Another World</I>.  This
is intended to become
a large print to hang over my fireplace.

So far, I have a roughed out model of the central structure.  This was
rather confusing to do, to put it
mildly.  It's all done directly with POV source and a little doodling on the
side.  To get a closer look at
joints and other details, I use close-up cameras.  The confusion stems from
the lack of a definite "up" and the self-similarness throughout, so it's
easy to get lost.

Any comments and advice appreciated.  The work can be seen at
<http://www.dlugosz.com/POV/another_world.html>

A few questions in general:

* anyone know where I can get a good high-quality print made in a poster
size?

* where can I get data for a human figure?  I'd like to incorporate a marble
statue, and that's a bit beyond my modeling abilities!

--John

Post a reply to this message

> I'm working on a POV model inspired by Escher's <I>Another World</I>.  This
> is intended to become
> a large print to hang over my fireplace.
>
> So far, I have a roughed out model of the central structure.  This was
> rather confusing to do, to put it
> mildly.  It's all done directly with POV source and a little doodling on the
> side.  To get a closer look at
> joints and other details, I use close-up cameras.  The confusion stems from
> the lack of a definite "up" and the self-similarness throughout, so it's
> easy to get lost.
>
> Any comments and advice appreciated.  The work can be seen at
> <http://www.dlugosz.com/POV/another_world.html>
>
> A few questions in general:
>
> * anyone know where I can get a good high-quality print made in a poster
> size?
>
> * where can I get data for a human figure?  I'd like to incorporate a marble
> statue, and that's a bit beyond my modeling abilities!
>
> --John

  I envy your progress to date. I started a Escher duplicate once and backed
out after a few hours of work. The perspective and number of csg operations
I was going to have to do was overwhelming and I have it resting somewhere
waiting for the proper time and motivation.

  As far a print work goes I can only recommend you read the printing faq
by Coridon Henshaw. I have a link to it posted in the
povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions group on this server.

  I saw a graphics printing ad posted this week in one of the comp.graphics
groups that If I run into it again I will forward your way. Might have
been in c.g.r.r., c.g.r, c.g.r.misc, or c.g.misc but I'm not sure.

  For human models if someone here who has Poser figures available that would
be your best bet. Otherwise I have a couple of links you can try for royalty
free 3d models. I haven't updated these for a while so some may be gone but
most should still be around. There are some good models available if you dig
enough.

3DCafe
http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/meshes.asp

3D Expresso - Object links - This has a link to many sites with 3d models
http://3dexpresso.simplenet.com/objects.htm

3dSpot - the New Graphics bbs web site Several cd's full of objects
http://www.3Dspot.com/

Amazing 3d Graphics Inc. Free 3D models
http://www.amazing3d.com/free/free.html

The 3DS repository
http://sunserver1.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~pannozzo/3dsobjects.html

Avalon - the ever popular source of things 3D
http://avalon1.viewpoint.com/cgi-bin/setmirror.pl?site=vp
ftp://avalon.viewpoint.com/avalon/

 and

Viewpoint Data Labs 3D models
http://www.viewpoint.com/datashop/premier/iconBar.html

Electric Image - 3D Resources
http://www.eiresources.com/resources/index.html

The Ion Group
http://www.iongroup.net/b3dz.html

Mesh Mart - I think this one is gone but if it's still around it is a good one.
http://www.meshmart.org/obcat/obcatdx.htm

VCAN - the Virtual Characters Archives Network
http://www.mediom.qc.ca/creator-studio/3d-depot/main.html

Good luck.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

> * anyone know where I can get a good high-quality print made in a poster
> size?
>
> --John

Post a reply to this message