POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Escher's Another World : Re: Escher's Another World Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Escher's Another World
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 14 Feb 1999 18:13:21
Message: <36c75891.0@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <36C68B5B.37ACF18D@pacbell.net>...
>  I envy your progress to date. I started a Escher duplicate once and
backed
>out after a few hours of work. The perspective and number of csg operations
>I was going to have to do was overwhelming and I have it resting somewhere
>waiting for the proper time and motivation.

Years ago I tried doing "Waterfall" and created an interesting study in
Perverse Solid Constructive Geometry with POV 0.5, but never did any more.
The scripting language just wan't up to it, lacking even trig functions and
arithmetic.

When I took up POV modeling again a year or two ago, I did much better.
Better machines helped, as I could get reasonable feedback needed to learn.
I played around with generating POV from Perl scripts, but with POV 3.1
having #local and #macro, I'm giving it another go.

>  As far a print work goes I can only recommend you read the printing faq
>by Coridon Henshaw. I have a link to it posted in the
>povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions group on this server.

Good advice in general -- I'll subscripe to that group immediatly!

re 3D models:  I'll check all the links you mentioned and merge them into my
database if they still work.  Seems like last time I looked, 3-d models were
expensive, with few good ones free -- those that were, were things better
done with CSG in POV anyway.

--John