POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : soft text Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:29:01 EDT (-0400)
  soft text (Message 11 to 19 of 19)
From: Rudy Velthuis
Subject: Re: soft text
Date: 6 Feb 1999 07:32:02
Message: <36bc3642.0@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker schrieb in Nachricht <36bb606c.0@news.povray.org>...
>>Remco's program needs Windows to plot the given string onto the bitmap.
>>Perhaps the freetype lib could do the same.
>
>Time to write a macro to do it with the superpatch and no external
>code.  Parse time would probably suffer, though... :)

If you can write a #macro to write a ttf to a bitmap and then read the
individual pixels, be my guest. Of course you could make an orthographic
picture of a ttf text, save it as .tga and then use this to read the pixels,
but you'd really have to wait a bit for a result.

Better use some ANSI-C thingy: simple enough, if you can use the Freetype
lib, I think.

I'll give it a try. I downloaded DJGPP for DOS and will install it and try
the Freetype libs. Keeps me off the street (like a friend's mother always
used to say, when we were still younger).

--
Rudy Velthuis

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999 13:34:43 +0100, "Rudy Velthuis" <rve### [at] gmxnet>
wrote:

>Ron Parker schrieb in Nachricht <36bb606c.0@news.povray.org>...
>>>Remco's program needs Windows to plot the given string onto the bitmap.
>>>Perhaps the freetype lib could do the same.
>>
>>Time to write a macro to do it with the superpatch and no external
>>code.  Parse time would probably suffer, though... :)
>

>If you can write a #macro to write a ttf to a bitmap and then read the
>individual pixels, be my guest.

No need for a bitmap.  The superpatch has the trace( ) function and
the min_extent() and max_extent() functions.  You just loop over x and
y within the bounds of the text and every time you hit the text you
make a blob component.  piece o' cake.

Post a reply to this message