POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : soft text : Re: soft text Server Time
12 Aug 2024 21:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: soft text
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 15 Feb 1999 19:17:24
Message: <36c71552.77149607@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 13 Feb 1999 20:52:58 +0100, "Rudy Velthuis"
<rve### [at] gmxnet> wrote:

>Cliff Bowman schrieb in Nachricht <36c5c82b.60144781@news.povray.org>...
[snip]
>>It got pulled because the poster got jumped on for producing a
>>non-portable utility. Oh well - try e-mailing him (I have) - maybe
>>he'll give us copies?
>
>He propably will, if there aren't too many requests.
>
>And I think it was rather unfair, that he got jumped on. He made a quick
>hack for himself, thought it might be useful and decided to share it. People
>didn't like the interface and didn't like the language (Delphi).

Yeah - I NEARLY extended my explanation along those lines except... I
*think* the jumper and jumpee have settled their differences and
understand each other better. I'm all for doing quick lash-ups to
overcome a problem - I've been known to do it myself more frequently
than not. From my POV anyone who makes a lash-up available for free is
doing a good thing. those who use a different platform to the author
may disagree - but if the idea is popular enough there's always the
possibility (as with this case) that someone with more
"cross-platform" abilities will do a conversion.

>BTW, It propably also got pulled because I offered to do a port of the main
>program to ANSI-C, to which he agreed. Please be patient for a few days
>more, until I get to grips with the FreeType library.

Aha! So you're to blame! Die die - oh hang on, wrong group. Ahem. If
you can, please make a DOS/Windoze binary available (Windoze being
what I run) as we don't all have compilers to hand :)

>It will be command-line, but the output will be very similar (differences
>depend on the differences in Truetype plotting between FreeType and
>Windows). Remco (the original poster) also had some ideas for enhancements,
>which I will try to introduce a little later on.

Sounds good. Especially enhancements (I always like enhancements) As
for command-line - well, most of us have been there already and should
be able to cope.

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dimension/7855/
PS change ".duffnet" to ".net" if replying via e-mail