POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : hypothetical question... Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:38:41 EDT (-0400)
  hypothetical question... (Message 11 to 20 of 37)
From: Remco de Korte
Subject: Re: hypothetical question...
Date: 2 Feb 1999 17:39:04
Message: <36B76493.80D5AD3E@xs4all.nl>
POVraytraced images are overkill for actionbased games, I guess. You'd only
notice in the screenshots. Realism is one thing FX is another. That's what you
want in action-games and -movies and such.
My 2p

Margus Ramst wrote:

> Depends on the effects you'd use. Antialiasing? Atmosphere? Halos?
> Radiosity? Recommended system: 500GHz Mercred V, 100 GB holographic memory
> etc... Oh, and a fast bus, too.
> But seriously, raytracing was never intended for such an application. Other
> methods give results much more suitable for games. And anyway, why
> speculate? Just wait and see.
>
> Margus
>
> Kyle wrote in message <36B754E9.5C926C7D@geocities.com>...
> >I was just wondering.....what would it be like to have a realtime,
> >doom-style game with a POVray based rendering engine....?  Obviously,
> >this wouldn't be very possible (speed-wise) on today's machines, but at
> >the rate technology is advancing.....
> > How fast do you think computers would have to be in order to run a game
> >like this at reasonable speed...say 15-20 fps?  Would it even be
> >possible?
> > Kyle

Post a reply to this message

Memory would not be a big factor I think.  You would need a math
processor or some other specialized piece of hardware, like 3d boards
today.  Something maybe like a quantum computer.

Margus Ramst wrote:

> Depends on the effects you'd use. Antialiasing? Atmosphere? Halos?
> Radiosity? Recommended system: 500GHz Mercred V, 100 GB holographic memory
> etc... Oh, and a fast bus, too.
> But seriously, raytracing was never intended for such an application. Other
> methods give results much more suitable for games. And anyway, why
> speculate? Just wait and see.
>
> Margus
>
> Kyle wrote in message <36B754E9.5C926C7D@geocities.com>...
> >I was just wondering.....what would it be like to have a realtime,
> >doom-style game with a POVray based rendering engine....?  Obviously,
> >this wouldn't be very possible (speed-wise) on today's machines, but at
> >the rate technology is advancing.....
> > How fast do you think computers would have to be in order to run a game
> >like this at reasonable speed...say 15-20 fps?  Would it even be
> >possible?
> > Kyle

Post a reply to this message