POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image mapping Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:33:39 EDT (-0400)
  Image mapping (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Mike Metheny
Subject: Image mapping
Date: 1 Jan 1999 14:10:34
Message: <368d1daa.0@news.povray.org>
Using POV, does anyone have some specific methods of going about placing a
bmp or whatever onto an object that will allow you to position it easily?
Whenever I use image_maps it seems to take me forever to get it
positioned/scaled how I want it.  Also; since the image map wraps completely
around the object once; how would I do just a part of the object?  example:
a box; I have a logo to go on the upper half of one of the sides.  How I see
doing this is by creating a smaller box; putting the image map on that, then
placing it to line up with the bigger box with say .001 higher (where the
image is).  But what about with a sphere, or some more complex object?

Any ideas/insights appreciated.

Mike Metheny
lon### [at] vtedu
http://loneshepherd.ml.org/

"When one's words are no better than silence, one should keep silent."

Post a reply to this message

> Using POV, does anyone have some specific methods of going about placing a
> bmp or whatever onto an object that will allow you to position it easily?
> Whenever I use image_maps it seems to take me forever to get it
> positioned/scaled how I want it.  Also; since the image map wraps completely
> around the object once; how would I do just a part of the object?  example:
> a box; I have a logo to go on the upper half of one of the sides.  How I see
> doing this is by creating a smaller box; putting the image map on that, then
> placing it to line up with the bigger box with say .001 higher (where the
> image is).  But what about with a sphere, or some more complex object?
>
> Any ideas/insights appreciated.
>
> Mike Metheny
> lon### [at] vtedu
> http://loneshepherd.ml.org/
>
> "When one's words are no better than silence, one should keep silent."

 On c.g.r.r. I just now posted a reply to translating and scaling
image maps. You might want to check it out. For the application
of an image map to a specific area the once keyword is very handy.

I had another idea on applying image maps to certain areas that
I need to test still so I think I'll stop at this point and get back to
you if it's succesful.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet