POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My new year's resolution... Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:38:32 EDT (-0400)
  My new year's resolution... (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Lance Birch
Subject: My new year's resolution...
Date: 31 Dec 1998 06:40:55
Message: <368b62c7.0@news.povray.org>
Yep, my new year's resolution will be.... 1024x768 in TrueColor :-)

--
Lance.

---
For the latest MAX plug-ins, images and much more, go to:
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone

Post a reply to this message

From: Hendrik Knaepen
Subject: Re: My new year's resolution...
Date: 31 Dec 1998 18:30:01
Message: <368c08f9.0@news.povray.org>
Lance Birch heeft geschreven in bericht <368b62c7.0@news.povray.org>...
>Yep, my new year's resolution will be.... 1024x768 in TrueColor :-)
>
>--
>Lance.
>

>---
>For the latest MAX plug-ins, images and much more, go to:
>The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone

Congratulations!  I work in the same resolution now for a few weeks.  Really
very easy!  (But very unpleasant if you suddenly have to work a while on
another computer which only can go to 800*600 in 16 bit :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Lance Birch
Date: 31 Dec 1998 18:32:50
Message: <368c09a2.0@news.povray.org>
Disgusting isn't it? ;-)

Besides, it's the only way I can get MAX's toolbar to even remotely fit on
my screen!!!  It still clips at one edge!

--
Lance.

---

From: Hendrik Knaepen
Date: 31 Dec 1998 18:58:13
Message: <368c0f95.0@news.povray.org>
Lance Birch heeft geschreven in bericht <368c09a2.0@news.povray.org>...
>Disgusting isn't it? ;-)
>
>Besides, it's the only way I can get MAX's toolbar to even remotely fit on
>my screen!!!  It still clips at one edge!
>
>--
>Lance.
>

>---
>For the latest MAX plug-ins, images and much more, go to:
>The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone

I haven't MAX.  I only have free programs to render (besides Moray) :-(

Just a question: did you really buy 3DSMAX (ofcourse you'll say yes), and is
it worth the price (I think it's about 4500$)?

(If you think those things are none of my business: just don't answer them,
I don't really care :-)
ZK

(You *did* mean 3DS-Max, didn't you?)

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen Lavedas
Date: 1 Jan 1999 01:45:29
Message: <368C6F12.A7B787FB@virginia.edu>
Thanks to my new graphics card I can now match it:)  Perhaps it won't be
enough... maybe 1920x1080 in TrueColor...or maybe not.. I'm young, but
even I can't read text that small:)

Steve

From: Hendrik Knaepen
Date: 1 Jan 1999 15:19:46
Message: <368d2de2.0@news.povray.org>
Stephen Lavedas heeft geschreven in bericht
<368C6F12.A7B787FB@virginia.edu>...
>Thanks to my new graphics card I can now match it:)  Perhaps it won't be
>enough... maybe 1920x1080 in TrueColor...or maybe not.. I'm young, but
>even I can't read text that small:)
>
>Steve

WOW!  What kind of graphics card is that?? 16Mb ram or something like that?

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen Lavedas
Date: 1 Jan 1999 23:53:51
Message: <368DA661.298466EE@virginia.edu>
Yup... 16 Megs.. It is a RIVA TNT card... (took me forever to get it
working correctly) I highly recommend upgrading, especially since new
cards are so cheap.  (this was under $130 US) of course I got it for
Christmas so....:))

Steve

From: Lance Birch
Date: 2 Jan 1999 04:06:14
Message: <368de186.0@news.povray.org>
Yes, I really bought MAX.  I have it sitting right to my left (want me to
scan it? :-).  I was going to buy the Educational version, but you can't do
that in Australia (an instituation has to by it, not an individual), so I
had to buy the full price Commercial version (which is good anyway, because
I can use it commercially!).  The Australian price is about $5500.  I was
lucky at the time I bought it but because MAX R2.5 was about to be released,
so not only did I get R2.0 immediately but two months later when R2.5
finally came out they gave me it for free!  All I had to do was fill out a
card when I got R2.0.  Now I only wish I'd bought Character Studio with it
as well, because I would have got CS R2.0 for free too (instead I'm going to
have to buy the non-bundle version, which costs heaps more!!!).  I also had
to upgrade my RAM, 32Mb just wasn't going to cope!!!!!!!  I added an extra
128Mb so now I have 160Mb, which still really isn't enough.  I must admit my
only complaint about it is that it's raytracer is a bit sluggish sometimes.
Of course on the other hand, it allows you to optimise it for each scene, so
it does have quite a good speed once you've fiddled with it.  I guess the
coolest thing about it is that it's so easy to see what you're creating.
The 4 viewpoints can be fully customised (or even removed if you want) and
they can use MAX HEIDI realtime renderer.  The HEIDI engine is faster than
Open GL, even with my Open GL accelerating card so I'm very happy with
that!!!  Plus the realtime data and motion capturing are great fun to play
with.  I really want a MIDI keyboard now so I can use it to trigger events
in realtime.  I also like its IntelliMouse functions (you can use the middle
wheel to draw stokes which are recognised as commands, it's a great
timesaver!).

>(If you think those things are none of my business: just don't answer them,
>I don't really care :-)

No that's fine, I'm all ligit :-)  Actually, it really gets me annoyed when
someone asks a stupid question in alt.3d.studio like "why isn't my translate
button working?".  This is a common problem with cracked versions
apparently.  Of course, that's a flame war for alt.3d.studio, not here :-)

--
Lance.

---

From: Julius Klatte
Date: 5 Jan 1999 22:30:02
Message: <3692d8ba.0@news.povray.org>
>The Australian price is about $5500.

Heheh.
There I was, working on a project, getting the full program
for free... :)
Not that I use it a lot...

Julius