POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My new year's resolution... : Re: My new year's resolution... Server Time
12 Aug 2024 21:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My new year's resolution...
From: Lance Birch
Date: 2 Jan 1999 04:06:14
Message: <368de186.0@news.povray.org>
Yes, I really bought MAX.  I have it sitting right to my left (want me to
scan it? :-).  I was going to buy the Educational version, but you can't do
that in Australia (an instituation has to by it, not an individual), so I
had to buy the full price Commercial version (which is good anyway, because
I can use it commercially!).  The Australian price is about $5500.  I was
lucky at the time I bought it but because MAX R2.5 was about to be released,
so not only did I get R2.0 immediately but two months later when R2.5
finally came out they gave me it for free!  All I had to do was fill out a
card when I got R2.0.  Now I only wish I'd bought Character Studio with it
as well, because I would have got CS R2.0 for free too (instead I'm going to
have to buy the non-bundle version, which costs heaps more!!!).  I also had
to upgrade my RAM, 32Mb just wasn't going to cope!!!!!!!  I added an extra
128Mb so now I have 160Mb, which still really isn't enough.  I must admit my
only complaint about it is that it's raytracer is a bit sluggish sometimes.
Of course on the other hand, it allows you to optimise it for each scene, so
it does have quite a good speed once you've fiddled with it.  I guess the
coolest thing about it is that it's so easy to see what you're creating.
The 4 viewpoints can be fully customised (or even removed if you want) and
they can use MAX HEIDI realtime renderer.  The HEIDI engine is faster than
Open GL, even with my Open GL accelerating card so I'm very happy with
that!!!  Plus the realtime data and motion capturing are great fun to play
with.  I really want a MIDI keyboard now so I can use it to trigger events
in realtime.  I also like its IntelliMouse functions (you can use the middle
wheel to draw stokes which are recognised as commands, it's a great
timesaver!).

>(If you think those things are none of my business: just don't answer them,
>I don't really care :-)

No that's fine, I'm all ligit :-)  Actually, it really gets me annoyed when
someone asks a stupid question in alt.3d.studio like "why isn't my translate
button working?".  This is a common problem with cracked versions
apparently.  Of course, that's a flame war for alt.3d.studio, not here :-)

--
Lance.

---
For the latest MAX plug-ins, images and much more, go to:
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone