POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Perfect Mirror Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:15:07 EDT (-0400)
  Perfect Mirror (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Steven Jones
Subject: Perfect Mirror
Date: 29 Oct 1998 21:20:19
Message: <3639225A.16D80F38@spiderweb.com.au>
How do I make a perfect mirror texture in POV?

Post a reply to this message

From: Dan Connelly
Subject: Re: Perfect Mirror
Date: 29 Oct 1998 21:39:18
Message: <363926CF.AC3489A2@flash.net>
Steven Jones wrote:

> How do I make a perfect mirror texture in POV?

You can't, as it won't reflect light beams.....

but the best you can do is
texture{finish{reflection 1}}

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/

Post a reply to this message

From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: How does reflection work? (was: Re: Perfect Mirror)
Date: 30 Oct 1998 07:54:25
Message: <3639b701.0@news.povray.org>
Dan Connelly <djc### [at] flashnet> wrote:
: but the best you can do is
: texture{finish{reflection 1}}

  There's something I haven't understood about the reflection.
  Doesn't 'reflection 1' mean "reflect ALL the light"?. If so, why if I
give the mirror, for example, a red color, the reflection is reddish? It isn't
reflecting ALL the light, but modifying it.
  If you want a true colored mirror, you should (as the documentation says)
put that color in the _reflection_ statement, not in the color statement of
the mirror (for example a red mirror should have 'reflection <1,0,0>').
  I have understood that when you put a 'reflection 1' in the finish block
of the object, then the color of the object becomes obsolete, since it
reflects absolutely all the light and none of its own color. But it seems
to work differently. Could anyone explain me how this really works?

--
                                                           - Warp. -

[Nieminen Mika <war### [at] assaricctutfi>]
| Doesn't 'reflection 1' mean "reflect ALL the light"?. If so, why if I
| give the mirror, for example, a red color, the reflection is
| reddish?  It isn't reflecting ALL the light, but modifying it.
| to work differently. Could anyone explain me how this really works?

The reddish color comes from the diffuse light and the ambient light.
As they are still red, and added to the reflected light.

If you add finish{reflection 1 diffuse 0 ambient 0} you'll get a white
mirror, even if your sphere is red.

--
A penny for your thoughts.
Mine are more expensive.