POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : No binaries here, thanx Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:18:29 EDT (-0400)
  No binaries here, thanx (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: No binaries here, thanx
Date: 1 Oct 1998 12:18:10
Message: <36139d32.0@news.povray.org>
Please, avoid posting binaries to newsgroup without the word "binaries" in
its name (like povray.general).
  Not everyone is using NS or IE.
  Thanx.

--
                                                           - Warp. -

Post a reply to this message

From: David Greaves
Subject: Re: No binaries here, thanx
Date: 1 Oct 1998 13:53:55
Message: <3613B50A.2744E0D9@telekinesys.co.uk>
Apologies Nieminen
I was going to post the source, but there's over 11,000 lines of sPatch include
- the binaries were smaller and I reasoned that they would allow those who could
see the images to get a better handle on the problem.

David

PS I also figured that (given their nature) pov's newsgroups would probably be
rather more forgiving than most in forgiving the use of image uploads ;}
BTW, when I checked - I made the 7th largest posting to this group - mea culpa
:( - but not as bad as Alan!!!

--
David Greaves                        Enabling
Technical Director, Telekinesys SW     Productivity    W

Post a reply to this message

> I was going to post the source, but there's over 11,000 lines of sPatch include
> - the binaries were smaller and I reasoned that they would allow those who could
> see the images to get a better handle on the problem.
>
> David
>
> PS I also figured that (given their nature) pov's newsgroups would probably be
> rather more forgiving than most in forgiving the use of image uploads ;}
> BTW, when I checked - I made the 7th largest posting to this group - mea culpa
> :( - but not as bad as Alan!!!
>
> Nieminen Mika wrote:
>
> >   Please, avoid posting binaries to newsgroup without the word "binaries" in
> > its name (like povray.general).
> >   Not everyone is using NS or IE.
> >   Thanx.

Uh... normally I'd say yeah - no binaries. but I think (having just
committed the same
sin myself - mea culpa) that I tend to agree with David on this one.
One should word the message as if there was no graphics available, but
when
a small illustration (emphasize "small") makes everything perfectly
clear, I don't
think folks should give the poster too much grief.
This _is_ a visually rich topic we have here, after all, and kinda' hard
to get away
from it.

I would not hold for posting huge images that take up a lot of
bandwidth, simply to show
off some cool image someone has come up with - there _are_ other places
for that.

I (cautiously) say it's okay when it serves a purpose that mere words do
not.

-jr-

Post a reply to this message