POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to read povray help? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  How to read povray help? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: How to read povray help?
Date: 23 Sep 1998 06:33:29
Message: <3608c069.0@news.povray.org>
Does anyone have a good idea how can I read the documentation of the new
povray 3.1? I haven't used the new features at all because I don't know
how to use them and what's the syntax. Why? Because I can't read the
documentation.
  The documentation is a huge text file which is impossible to read. I have
no editor which can read that large text files (in DOS), and searching about
a subject is a real pain. The text is also so unclearly formatted that
reading it is also a pain.
  Povteam is no longer supporting the povhelp program, which was absolutely
great and easy-to-use. I don't have win95 (and I don't have enough money or
resources to install it).
  What should I do? I would like to use the new features, but I'm unable to.
Printing the godzilla-sized documentation is not an option. DOS-povraying
under windows 3.1 isn't neither (although I think the winhelp version should
be the best choice in my case; but what I want is online help, not "I hope
I remember the syntax right"-help).
  Someone wrote an article saying he is making a new povhelp with the
new documentation, but I have heard nothing about that anymore.

  Help!

--
                                                           - Warp. -

Post a reply to this message

Nieminen Mika <war### [at] assaricctutfi> writes:

>   Does anyone have a good idea how can I read the documentation of the new
> povray 3.1? I haven't used the new features at all because I don't know
> how to use them and what's the syntax. Why? Because I can't read the
> documentation.
>   The documentation is a huge text file which is impossible to read. I have
> no editor which can read that large text files (in DOS), and searching about
> a subject is a real pain. The text is also so unclearly formatted that
> reading it is also a pain.

What about getting Lynx for DOS and reading the HTML-version of the docs.
Lynx is a textmode browser. It can be downloaded from various places, e.g.
ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/dos/networking/tcpip/
You can give lynx a file name as URL to access local files.

Personally, I read the documentation with Netscape Navigator on Sun Solaris.

Thomas
--
http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm

Post a reply to this message

>  Does anyone have a good idea how can I read the documentation of the new
>povray 3.1? I haven't used the new features at all because I don't know
>how to use them and what's the syntax. Why? Because I can't read the
>documentation.
>  The documentation is a huge text file which is impossible to read. I have
>no editor which can read that large text files (in DOS), and searching about
>a subject is a real pain. The text is also so unclearly formatted that
>reading it is also a pain.

Hmm, looks like the line length of your editor is set to short, I don't know about DOS
much, but in most Windows editors it should work fine. If you use the Write coming
with Windows (Notepad should not be able to read such a large text), make sure you use
Courier or another font with a fixed width.

>  Povteam is no longer supporting the povhelp program, which was absolutely
>great and easy-to-use. I don't have win95 (and I don't have enough money or
>resources to install it).
>  What should I do? I would like to use the new features, but I'm unable to.
>Printing the godzilla-sized documentation is not an option. DOS-povraying
>under windows 3.1 isn't neither (although I think the winhelp version should
>be the best choice in my case; but what I want is online help, not "I hope
>I remember the syntax right"-help).

The documentation is available in html as well. Simply choose the pages with the new
features and print only them. (This way you have the example images as well.) Of
course this works with any other kind of documentation format as well.

>  Someone wrote an article saying he is making a new povhelp with the
>new documentation, but I have heard nothing about that anymore.

Someone is (or was) trying, but I don't know more. Maybe Chris Young can tell you
more. Or post a message for the admin here...

Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany

Post a reply to this message