POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request - spliney cylinders - or howto model pipes Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Feature request - spliney cylinders - or howto model pipes (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: David Greaves
Subject: Feature request - spliney cylinders - or howto model pipes
Date: 20 Sep 1998 14:42:57
Message: <36053D37.868A081@telekinesys.co.uk>
Hi

This started with "How can I model a bendy pipe?"

I got sPatch, created a line with 10 points, lathed it (6 sides) and
then moved/rotated the hexagonal groups of points. The problem is that
this doesn't retain the pipe walls equidistant to the pipe's axis :(

I kinda fixed this by using three groups of hexagons around a bend so
the 'straight' bits were cylindrical but thats quite fiddly and not
accurate.

Then, some reading later I thought:
Wouldn't it be nice to have a spline that had thickness?
Maybe a blob spline? (but that would be too thick at the bends)
Maybe have a 'map' function to determine radius wrt distance along the
spline (assuming you can calculate the distance travelled along a spline
- my maths is not that good)
A function of '1' would then produce a bent cylinder - more interesting
functions would produce eg, a string of pearls....

Any other ideas for bendy pipes?

David

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998 18:36:55 +0100, David Greaves
<dav### [at] telekinesyscouk> wrote:

>Hi
>
>This started with "How can I model a bendy pipe?"

You go to http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/traces.html and download the
wonderful torus spline .include file for POV 3.1 beta.  But of course
I'm biased.

Post a reply to this message