POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request - spliney cylinders - or howto model pipes : Re: Feature request - spliney cylinders - or howto model pipes Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:34:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature request - spliney cylinders - or howto model pipes
From: Ken
Date: 20 Sep 1998 15:30:24
Message: <36054A06.F2E420EF@pacbell.net>
David Greaves wrote:

> Hi
>
> This started with "How can I model a bendy pipe?"
>
> Any other ideas for bendy pipes?
>
> David

    I have used the #while loop function to create curved pipes.
It uses spheres (like your string of pearls} in a circular arc
to create the form. This method requires a lot of spheres to
get a smooth surface.
    A utility called CTDS or the Connect the Dots Smoother
takes a set of 3d point coordinates and connects the points with
cones and spheres for you. It will even tie a knot if you plot the
points correctly.
    Chris Colefax has an .inc file called bend.inc that will take
almost any declarable pov object and bend it in user definable
ways. The output isn't always predictable but that can be
fun too. His inc. works on the principal of the D'Jong box
where it intersects the object slicing it into many pieces
then it rotates them individualy and re-assymbles the whole
thing back into one piece.
    I have also intersected torus objects into pieces to
use as 45,90, and 180 degree bent pipes. They offer the
advantage of being perfectly smooth and the angle depends
on where you intersect it. Match the ends with a cylinder
the same diameter as the torus, carefully align it, and it
makes faily realistic plumbing, chair backs, and what have
you.

Ken