POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request - spliney cylinders - or howto model pipes : Re: Feature request - spliney cylinders - or howto model pipes Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:28:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature request - spliney cylinders - or howto model pipes
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 21 Sep 1998 04:39:04
Message: <qqm7lyx9ap1.fsf@goldach.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
David Greaves <dav### [at] telekinesyscouk> writes:

> Hi
>
> This started with "How can I model a bendy pipe?"
>
> I got sPatch, created a line with 10 points, lathed it (6 sides) and
> then moved/rotated the hexagonal groups of points. The problem is that
> this doesn't retain the pipe walls equidistant to the pipe's axis :(
>
> I kinda fixed this by using three groups of hexagons around a bend so
> the 'straight' bits were cylindrical but thats quite fiddly and not
> accurate.
>
> Then, some reading later I thought:
> Wouldn't it be nice to have a spline that had thickness?
[...]

In my opinion, you are looking for "POV-Ray with Sphere Sweeps". It can
generate "splines with thickness". Besides the source code, binaries
are available for Mac, Sun, and Linux at
http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~vader/pss/pss.html .
The page contains also a link to TMPov, a custom version of POV-Ray
for Win95/NT that includes this patch (and many others).

Thomas

--
http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm