POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I have lost 2000 + images HELP !!!!! Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  I have lost 2000 + images HELP !!!!! (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Ken
Subject: I have lost 2000 + images HELP !!!!!
Date: 18 Sep 1998 20:43:17
Message: <3602F062.888CF204@pacbell.net>
*The problem:

    I am the victim of microsofts scandisk program and have had an
entire hard drive wiped out. 20% of the files I could care less about
but the other 80% were image files and many of them irreplacable.
Over 1300 POV-Ray rendered images now lost. I don't have to
tell you people how long it would take to re-render that many scenes.

*What caused it:

    While running scan disk it reported that one copy of the fat file
was not the same as the other. I have had this happen before and went
ahead and allowed it to correct the error. Upon rebooting, this was a
compressed drive, drivespace found an error and started scandisk again.
to make a long story short what I have now is the entire contents
of the compressed drive now stored as files with the name--
filechek.001 filechek.002 ect. It didn't bother seperating the files out
of the directories, Which would have made it easy to just rename the files
and use them, it instead stored the entire directories as file names.

*The solution:

This is where I need your help. Can anybody think of a way to
recover the images from the directories that have been renamed
as files. Is there any way to rename a file so the system will recognize
it as a directory instead. If I could do this then the files would become
accessable again but I have no clue how to do this.
Should I mail bomb Microsoft headquarters and just be satisfied with that ?

Please any and all help would be forever appreciated. Any image you ever
post for evaluation will get a glowing response from me. I will agree with
all the opinions you ever express in this group. Any tips, tricks, leads to
helful information, voodoo remedies, black magic, utility suggestions,
or anything else you can recommend will bring you eternal peace and my
heartfelt thanks.

Thank You for your time and patience.

Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

>     I am the victim of microsofts scandisk program and have had an
> entire hard drive wiped out. 20% of the files I could care less about
> but the other 80% were image files and many of them irreplacable.
> Over 1300 POV-Ray rendered images now lost. I don't have to
> tell you people how long it would take to re-render that many scenes.
>
> *What caused it:
>
>     While running scan disk it reported that one copy of the fat file
> was not the same as the other. I have had this happen before and went
> ahead and allowed it to correct the error. Upon rebooting, this was a
> compressed drive, drivespace found an error and started scandisk
> again.
> to make a long story short what I have now is the entire contents
> of the compressed drive now stored as files with the name--
> filechek.001 filechek.002 ect. It didn't bother seperating the files
> out
> of the directories, Which would have made it easy to just rename the
> files
> and use them, it instead stored the entire directories as file names.
>
> *The solution:
>
> This is where I need your help. Can anybody think of a way to
> recover the images from the directories that have been renamed
> as files. Is there any way to rename a file so the system will
> recognize
> it as a directory instead. If I could do this then the files would
> become
> accessable again but I have no clue how to do this.
> Should I mail bomb Microsoft headquarters and just be satisfied with
> that ?
>
> Please any and all help would be forever appreciated. Any image you
> ever
> post for evaluation will get a glowing response from me. I will agree
> with
> all the opinions you ever express in this group. Any tips, tricks,
> leads to
> helful information, voodoo remedies, black magic, utility suggestions,
> or anything else you can recommend will bring you eternal peace and my
> heartfelt thanks.
>
> Thank You for your time and patience.
>
> Ken Tyler

The binary data is probably all there but your FAT has been wiped. I
guess that leaves you with just the data and renaming won't help. _If_
you would succeed in renaming the files to directories you still
wouldn't have your files back, as far as I can see.
The only thing I can think of right now is to open the binaries and see
if you can retrieve your files from there. If you know what type of
files you're looking for you could look up the file format, and search
for specific header data in the filecheck-files. Not an easy task.
Perhaps there is some sort of recovery program. Did you do a websearch
for that?

Meanwhile you have my deepest sympathy. Things like that shouldn't
happen to raytracers (I've had my occasional 'accident' too).

Good luck,

Regards,

Remco

Post a reply to this message

Did you make a recovery disk? My guess is no since I never did either.
Supposedly, if you make a recovery disk, you can undo whatever scandisk
did. It's a quite painful experience to lose you data like that. My
sympathies go out.

Ti Leggett

--
The continued extension of pi provides a harmless exercise of computer
power which would otherwise be misused playing Quake or surfing

Post a reply to this message

What you need is a program that will search through the files and looking at the
headers and extract the files. There is a program that can do this and it will
search for the headers of various image formats amongst others. It called Ripper,
and you can get it at:

http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~til/ripper5.html

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Cheers, Matthew

Ken wrote:

> *The problem:
>
>     I am the victim of microsofts scandisk program and have had an
> entire hard drive wiped out. 20% of the files I could care less about
> but the other 80% were image files and many of them irreplacable.
> Over 1300 POV-Ray rendered images now lost. I don't have to
> tell you people how long it would take to re-render that many scenes.
>
> *What caused it:
>
>     While running scan disk it reported that one copy of the fat file
> was not the same as the other. I have had this happen before and went
> ahead and allowed it to correct the error. Upon rebooting, this was a
> compressed drive, drivespace found an error and started scandisk again.
> to make a long story short what I have now is the entire contents
> of the compressed drive now stored as files with the name--
> filechek.001 filechek.002 ect. It didn't bother seperating the files out
> of the directories, Which would have made it easy to just rename the files
> and use them, it instead stored the entire directories as file names.
>
> *The solution:
>
> This is where I need your help. Can anybody think of a way to
> recover the images from the directories that have been renamed
> as files. Is there any way to rename a file so the system will recognize
> it as a directory instead. If I could do this then the files would become
> accessable again but I have no clue how to do this.
> Should I mail bomb Microsoft headquarters and just be satisfied with that ?
>
> Please any and all help would be forever appreciated. Any image you ever
> post for evaluation will get a glowing response from me. I will agree with
> all the opinions you ever express in this group. Any tips, tricks, leads to
> helful information, voodoo remedies, black magic, utility suggestions,
> or anything else you can recommend will bring you eternal peace and my
> heartfelt thanks.
>
> Thank You for your time and patience.
>
> Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

Norton has some tools that could help you recover your old FAT.  Other than
that, have you considered sending the HD to a data recovery company?  Many
are listed in PC Magazine.

Jim

Ken wrote in message <3602F062.888CF204@pacbell.net>...
>*The problem:
>
>    I am the victim of microsofts scandisk program and have had an
>entire hard drive wiped out. 20% of the files I could care less about
>but the other 80% were image files and many of them irreplacable.
>Over 1300 POV-Ray rendered images now lost. I don't have to
>tell you people how long it would take to re-render that many scenes.

Post a reply to this message

> Norton has some tools that could help you recover your old FAT.  Other than
> that, have you considered sending the HD to a data recovery company?  Many
> are listed in PC Magazine.
>
> Jim

Monday morning when Microsoft opens it's doors they
are going to have ME on the phone waiting for them.
If that doesn't bring satisfaction I will probably mail bomb
them and them do as you suggest.

Thanks for the help.

Ken

Post a reply to this message