POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I have lost 2000 + images HELP !!!!! : Re: I have lost 2000 + images HELP !!!!! Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:27:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I have lost 2000 + images HELP !!!!!
From: Scott Hill
Date: 24 Sep 1998 11:27:39
Message: <01bde7b9$53a17c60$8c00a8c0@shindo>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in article
<3602F062.888CF204@pacbell.net>...
> *The problem:
>
>     I am the victim of microsofts scandisk program and have had an
> entire hard drive wiped out. 20% of the files I could care less about
> but the other 80% were image files and many of them irreplacable.
> Over 1300 POV-Ray rendered images now lost. I don't have to
> tell you people how long it would take to re-render that many scenes.

Hi Ken,

	Ooops ! Now I wonder why the first three rules of computing are Backup,
Backup and Backup !

	Sorry. Case of been there, done that, seen all that hard work go down the
pan just 'cos I didn't have a backup. Let it be a lesson to your self and
anyone else that doesn't use backups. If you don't backup data that you
want to keep you've only got yourself to blame when everything goes a
little pete tong and you lose all that work. You, like so many before you,
had to find out the hard way, now take what you've learnt and use it
wisely. Install backup and use it.

	Oh, and if you can, don't use disk compression, you're just pilling all
your eggs into one basket doing that, so you are ! I really, really,
compounds problems like this (if you hadn't have been using disk
compression you'd have found that scandisk would probably have just screwed
up one or two files, rather than the whole lot! ).

	Anyhow, enough of my "holier than thou" attitude (hope doesn't actually
come across that bad), you're best bet is to leave well alone, send the
drive off to a data recovery service (they advertise in PC mags) and get
them to recover the data. Or if you can't afford that, there are programs
available that will extract any images it can find in any file (presumably
they search for the image file headers), sorry no URL for one (never needed
one) but it shouldn't be too hard find something on the web.

--
Scott Hill
Sco### [at] DDLinkscouk

"The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't
exist..."
								- Verbal Kint.

"the Internet is here so we can waste time talking about nothing in
 particular when we should be working" - Marcus Hill.