POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HELP ME with this landscape - sky.jpg (0/1) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  HELP ME with this landscape - sky.jpg (0/1) (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: K  Tyler
Subject: Re: HELP ME with this landscape - sky.jpg (0/1)
Date: 28 Aug 1998 01:58:07
Message: <35E62A63.F455969@pacbell.net>
Adrian Pederson wrote:

> >I think the problem doesn't lie in some construction error, but the fact
> that
> >it isn't all that easy to create a nice blurry horizon with fog layers.
> I've
> >tried myself a few times and it was a disaster. If anyone ever succeeded in
> >creating a nice distant fog that blurs out the horizon, I'd be really
> >interested in how he/she accomplished that.
> >
> >JK
>
> Yes, please do tell, i'm still at the newbie stage and will soon be
> attempting to add some haze to the horizon of my current study scene.
> What i'm envisioning is the addition of enough fog to obscure but not
> completely eliminate the horizon line on my heightfield ground plane.
> Any hints on how to accomplish this will be much appreciated. Also, i
> am interested in any good sky texture hints, specifically how do i
> create nice 'fluffy' cirrus clouds.
>
> Adrian Pederson

  Greetings !

The following will attempt to show you how to read the manual
and provide you an example of using a fog to blur the horizon.
It may not be suitable to a given scene but clearly demonstrates
the desired affect. You may make your checks and money orders
out to ...

K.Tyler

camera{location<0,5,-5>look_at 5}
  light_source{<0,40,-670>rgb 1}
  sphere{<0,0,0>,1 scale <9000000,9000000,500000>inverse
  texture{pigment{bozo turbulence 0.56 colour_map {
  [0.0 0.5  colour red 0.3 green 0.3 blue 1.0
            colour red 0.3 green 0.3 blue 1.0]
  [0.5 1.0  colour red 0.3 green 0.3 blue 1.0
            colour red 1.0 green 1.0 blue 1.0]}}
  finish{ambient 0.7 diffuse 0 brilliance 1 }
  scale <300000,300000,10000>}
  texture{pigment{gradient<0,0,1>colour_map{
  [0.0 0.003 colour red 1.0 green 1.0 blue 1.0 filter 0
             colour red 1.0 green 1.0 blue 1.0 filter 0]
  [.003 .016 colour red 1.0 green 1.0 blue 1.0 filter 0
             colour red 1.0 green 1.0 blue 1.0 filter 1.0]
  [.016 1.01 colour red 1.0 green 1.0 blue 1.0 filter 1.0
             colour red 1.0 green 1.0 blue 1.0 filter 1.0]}}
  finish{ambient .7 diffuse 0 brilliance 1}
  scale <10,10,40000000>}
  translate <19.8928165,31.9178133,66.4087372>}

  fog {color  fog_type 2 fog_offset 555 fog_alt 1
  rgbf 1 transmit .5 distance 30000}

  plane{y,-150 pigment{rgb<.4,.25,.05>}finish{ambient .6}}

Post a reply to this message

>I think the problem doesn't lie in some construction error, but the fact that
>it isn't all that easy to create a nice blurry horizon with fog layers. I've
>tried myself a few times and it was a disaster. If anyone ever succeeded in
>creating a nice distant fog that blurs out the horizon, I'd be really
>interested in how he/she accomplished that.
>
>JK

Yes, it's quite difficult to get it right; I once had to do it with
2 layered fogs and 1 ordinary fog, playing with transmit value of the
fog's color.
In fact, you must have one opaque fog to hide the horizon line, and
another transparent one to blend more nicely in the background...

Cheers,
Fabien.

Post a reply to this message