POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HELP ME with this landscape - sky.jpg (0/1) : Re: HELP ME with this landscape - sky.jpg (0/1) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HELP ME with this landscape - sky.jpg (0/1)
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 29 Aug 1998 04:17:52
Message: <35E64A19.8C06DF6@geocities.com>
hey### [at] omabe wrote:

> After (a lot) of trial and error I came to the attached result. There
> still is a problem with the horizon at the back: I want to soften or
> blur it to make the landscape and the sky fade into each other and
> become foggy or misty. I tried with adding fog but wasn't succesfull.
> Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

I can't be sure of the way your scene is set up (scales, lighting,
etc.); providing that you're not getting a "Camera is inside a
non-hollow object" error, you should be able to use fogs to get the hazy
effect you want.  I often find it better to use a ground fog, because
this doesn't obscure too much of the clouds above the camera.  I think
the trickiest part is working out what altitude, distance, and
particularly the colour you should use.  Perhaps start with a fog_alt of
half the height of the clouds, and a distance of about 10 times this
amount.  If you want to see more of the clouds, try halving both the
fog_alt and distance values.

For your scene, I'd probably try a dark blue, say rgb <.1, .2, .3>.  A
lighter colour might make the scene look more like a soupy fog is
rolling in, while a darker colour might make the scene look more like
night.  Personally, I prefer fog colours that aren't too saturated, ie.
the red, green, and blue values are quite close together; fogs that
contain too much colour tend to look very unnatural to me.