POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help needed with texture mapping Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:31:11 EDT (-0400)
  Help needed with texture mapping (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Peter Popov
Subject: Help needed with texture mapping
Date: 10 Jul 1998 07:41:10
Message: <35a5efc6.0@news.povray.org>
Hi!

Can anyone help me to solve the following problem: I know the coordinates of
a cylinder and I want to map a radial y pigment on it. I want to define the
texture at the origin and then translate it. Or define a unit cylinder and
somehow fit it into the coordinates I have.

10x.

pet### [at] usanet

Post a reply to this message

> Can anyone help me to solve the following problem: I know the coordinates of
> a cylinder and I want to map a radial y pigment on it. I want to define the
> texture at the origin and then translate it. Or define a unit cylinder and
> somehow fit it into the coordinates I have.

I am afraid I don't understand the question completely, but in
general to place a texture there are two options:

* define the object in texture coordinates, then scale and/or translate
  both.

   example (not debugged) :

   cylinder {
     <0, 0, 0>,
     <1, 1, 1>,
     1
     texture { CylinderTexture }

     // the following transformations apply to the texture
     // and the object:
     scale S       // S : a scalar or vector
     rotate T      // T : a vector
     translate V   // V : a vector
   }

* define the texture, then scale it and/or translate it to match
  the object location.

   example (not debugged) :

   cylinder {
     V,              // V:  a vector
     V2,             // V2: a vector
     R               // R : a scalar
     texture {
       CylinderTexture

       // the following transformations apply to the texture
       // only :
       #declare H = vlength(V2 - V);
       #declare T = <atan2(...),atan2(.....),...>;  // math LAAEFTR :)
       scale <R, H, R>
       rotate T
       translate V
     }
   }

I am not implying the texture must always be matched to the
object in the manner shown... they are just typical examples.

Dan

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/

Post a reply to this message

> Can anyone help me to solve the following problem: I know the coordinates of
> a cylinder and I want to map a radial y pigment on it. I want to define the
> texture at the origin and then translate it. Or define a unit cylinder and
> somehow fit it into the coordinates I have.
>
> 10x.
>
> pet### [at] usanet

"matrix"  is what you need; I'm not familiar enough with it to explain,
but there is a good tutorial about it :
http://www.erols.com/vansickl/matrix.htm

Post a reply to this message