POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : image function Server Time
5 May 2024 12:31:44 EDT (-0400)
  image function (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
Subject: Re: image function
Date: 25 Feb 2002 08:38:23
Message: <95fk7us9k4lltd6riud4et50mrouvr3gj6@4ax.com>
On 25 Feb 2002 08:30:30 -0500, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>  Could you tell me what is the difference between a smooth and an
> interpolated image?

With term "smooth" I refered to previous post of Thorsten. It was (probably
wrong) shortcut to describe AA.

ABX

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 25 Feb 2002 08:38:34
Message: <3c7a3e5a@news.povray.org>

Skiba <abx### [at] babilonorg>  wrote:

> But when calculations of this functions are very complicated and this pattern
> is intersected many times (for example via reflections) then image function is
> afaik only alternative to speed things up.

The function will still have to be called a lot.  Further, it is extremely
simple to just write a function like this and get any supersampling effect you
want with much more flexibility and about the same speed:

  (foo(u+fdelta,v+fdelta) + foo(u-fdelta,v+fdelta) + foo(u,v)*4 +
   foo(u+fdelta,v-fdelta) + foo(u-fdelta,v-fdelta)) / 8}

    Thorsten

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:38:31 +0100, "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde>
wrote:
> The function will still have to be called a lot.  Further, it is extremely
> simple to just write a function like this and get any supersampling effect you
> want with much more flexibility and about the same speed:
>
>  (foo(u+fdelta,v+fdelta) + foo(u-fdelta,v+fdelta) + foo(u,v)*4 +
>   foo(u+fdelta,v-fdelta) + foo(u-fdelta,v-fdelta)) / 8}

I think you took my posts wrong way.
I didn't requested it is necessary to implement AA to image function so no
need to show me workarounds (note I wrote proximity/blur macro i
text.scene-files as example how such thing could look). I only pointed that
subsampling has sense and showing above code you proved this imo.

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> I didn't requested it is necessary to implement AA to image function so no
> need to show me workarounds (note I wrote proximity/blur macro i
> text.scene-files as example how such thing could look). I only pointed that
> subsampling has sense and showing above code you proved this imo.

No, you asked for this effect, so there it is.  It still does not make sense,
but as you insisted that it would be useful ... now you can try it and see for
yourself that you gain nothing :-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde