POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.books : other newsgroup Server Time
5 May 2024 15:40:29 EDT (-0400)
  other newsgroup (Message 7 to 16 of 16)
From: Micha Riser
Subject: Re: other newsgroup
Date: 18 Jun 2002 08:36:07
Message: <3d0f2937@news.povray.org>
Rick [Kitty5] wrote:
> Kevin Wampler <kev### [at] tapestrytucsonazus> wrote:
>> Oh, sorry, I meant the Pov book newsgroup, it's not associated with
>> the Pov team, but is as far as I know something Mitchell Waite set up.
>
> The project seems dead, Mitchell is citing unrealistic financial demands
> from the pov team. The announcement is on
>
> news.povraybook.com

Does one have to subscribe somewhere to get access to the group? If so
where? Or could somebody giving a summary what is going on there?

> --
    ^ to be nitpicking: there is a space missing after the dashs

- Micha

--
objects.povworld.org - The POV-Ray Objects Collection
book.povworld.org    - The POV-Ray Book Project

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 18 Jun 2002 13:03:21
Message: <3D0F67D9.BDB9E1C8@tapestry.tucson.az.us>
"Rick [Kitty5]" wrote:

> Kevin Wampler <kev### [at] tapestrytucsonazus> wrote:
> > Ken wrote:
> >
> >> And which other group would that be?
> >
> > Oh, sorry, I meant the Pov book newsgroup, it's not associated with
> > the Pov team, but is as far as I know something Mitchell Waite set up.
>
> The project seems dead, Mitchell is citing unrealistic financial demands
> from the pov team. The announcement is on
>
> news.povraybook.com

Ahh, that's too bad.  Thanks though.

Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Date: 18 Jun 2002 14:38:23
Message: <slrnaguvh1.fd8.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:03:21 -0700, Kevin Wampler wrote:
> "Rick [Kitty5]" wrote:
>
>> Kevin Wampler <kev### [at] tapestrytucsonazus> wrote:

>> > Oh, sorry, I meant the Pov book newsgroup, it's not associated with
>> > the Pov team, but is as far as I know something Mitchell Waite set up.
>>
>> The project seems dead, Mitchell is citing unrealistic financial demands
>> from the pov team. The announcement is on
>>
>> news.povraybook.com
>
> Ahh, that's too bad.  Thanks though.

Keep in mind, though, that the definition of "unrealistic" is not necessarily
the same to everyone.

--
#macro R(P)z+_(P)_(P)_(P+1)_(P+1)+z#end#macro Q(C,T)bicubic_patch{type 1u_steps
6v_steps 6R(1)R(3)R(5)R(7)pigment{rgb z}}#end#macro _(Y)#local X=asc(substr(C,Y

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 18 Jun 2002 17:33:53
Message: <3D0FA742.75077C88@tapestry.tucson.az.us>
Ron Parker wrote:

> Keep in mind, though, that the definition of "unrealistic" is not necessarily
> the same to everyone.

Of course.  I'm not blaming any particular party for this, I just imagine that the
two sides had incompatible conditions for the book.

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 18 Jun 2002 21:43:05
Message: <3d0fe1a9@news.povray.org>
"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] fwicom...
> Keep in mind, though, that the definition of "unrealistic" is not necessarily
> the same to everyone.

Amen to that.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: Rick [Kitty5]
Date: 20 Jun 2002 03:49:12
Message: <3d1188f8$2@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason <new### [at] deletethispovrayorg> wrote:
>> Keep in mind, though, that the definition of "unrealistic" is not
>> necessarily the same to everyone.
>
> Amen to that.

The word here is COMPRAMISE

Both parties seem to have missed the point that a book is better than no
book

--
Rick

Kitty5 WebDesign - http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources - http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - FAX : +44 (01270) 251105 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key

---

From: Ron Parker
Date: 20 Jun 2002 13:11:55
Message: <slrnah436t.lot.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:43:47 +0100, Rick [Kitty5] wrote:
> Chris Cason <new### [at] deletethispovrayorg> wrote:
>>> Keep in mind, though, that the definition of "unrealistic" is not
>>> necessarily the same to everyone.
>>
>> Amen to that.
>
> The word here is COMPRAMISE
>
> Both parties seem to have missed the point that a book is better than no
> book

Actually, it's "compromise."  And given that you weren't party to the
discussion, any assumptions you might want to make about what points we
missed are utterly and completely off base.  The fact is, "no book" isn't
and wasn't one of the expected outcomes of the discussion.  If Mitch wants
to choose not to publish a book at this time as a result of the outcome of
whatever discussion he had with us, that's his choice.  We certainly didn't
tell him he couldn't; in fact, we can't tell him he can't.

The simple fact is that if party A wants party B to provide something of
value, party A should expect to provide something of equivalent or greater
value to party B in return.  Sometimes, that doesn't happen.  That's basic
economics.

--
#macro R(L P)sphere{L F}cylinder{L P F}#end#macro P(V)merge{R(z+a z)R(-z a-z)R(a
-z-z-z a+z)torus{1F clipped_by{plane{a 0}}}translate V}#end#macro Z(a F T)merge{

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 27 Jun 2002 03:45:43
Message: <3d1ac2a7@news.povray.org>
"Rick [Kitty5]" <ric### [at] kitty5com> wrote in message news:3d1188f8$2@news.povray.org...
> The word here is COMPRAMISE

As Ron pointed out, you weren't party to the discussions and have no idea
what happened. It is unreasonable (and in fact rather rude IMO) for you to
suggest that we would not compromise. I think that the team as a whole was
extremely flexible and fair with Mitch.

Mitch was given our permission to bundle POV-Ray with the book. Apart from
that there were no other legal hurdles to his publishing a book. He could do
one now if he wanted. The issue that caused Mitch to decide not to publish a
book had nothing to do with our giving permission or not.

> Both parties seem to have missed the point that a book is better than no
> book

Who said there would be no book ?

While it is true that Mitch seems unlikely to publish a book, I will remind
you that I had intentions of doing a book before he turned up, and I still
have such intention.

So apart from some time having elapsed, nothing really has changed.

-- Chris

Date: 27 Jun 2002 03:53:25
Message: <noglhu0jddql3r6qhl1d8ebq2r6gtg1h3c@4ax.com>
On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:45:58 +1000, "Chris Cason"
<new### [at] deletethispovrayorg> wrote:
> While it is true that Mitch seems unlikely to publish a book, I will remind
> you that I had intentions of doing a book before he turned up, and I still
> have such intention.

Have You any ideas about writing? Do you want long contignous story or
separated turorials like "How to...". Do You want 3-4 choosed artists to write
it or do you plan more opened idea like Mitch. Some persons (at least me)
offered ideas and own work to Mitch and perhaps it could be not wasted.

ABX

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 27 Jun 2002 04:27:29
Message: <3d1acc71@news.povray.org>

> Have You any ideas about writing? Do you want long contignous story or
> separated turorials like "How to...". Do You want 3-4 choosed artists to write
> it or do you plan more opened idea like Mitch. Some persons (at least me)
> offered ideas and own work to Mitch and perhaps it could be not wasted.

I think that there is scope for two books here; one a series of "how to's",
and one an introduction to POV-Ray.

-- Chris