POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : height_field crashes povwin 3.1g Server Time
14 May 2024 14:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  height_field crashes povwin 3.1g (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Peter Santo
Subject: height_field crashes povwin 3.1g
Date: 7 Aug 1999 11:41:21
Message: <37AC52D1.A06C762B@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>
Hello!

I have a reduced scene containing a height_field that would cause povwin
to crash (so I suppose, it's a bug).

I strongly suspect a division by zero error in the height_field code,
since the error can be avoided if you slightly change the perspective or
use Jitter when antialiasing output.

My setup:
Official Version 3.1g.watcom.win32
Win98 de 4.10.1998
Pentium II 300 MHz
64 MB RAM

Here is the scene:
------------start-----------
#declare Set_to_zero = 0.01;

camera
{
  location  -z*2
  direction z
  right     x
  up        y
  look_at   Set_to_zero
}

light_source
{
  <10, 4, -20>
  color rgb 1
}

height_field
{
  tga "hf.tga"
  texture {
    pigment {
      color rgb 1
    }
  }
  rotate x * 270
  translate <-0.5, -0.5, 0>
}
-------------end------------

INI and Command Line Options:
Original quickres.ini, 160x120, AA 0.3
-j

povray will crash if 1) the variable Set_to_zero is zero and 2) you
disable antialiasing jitter.

I posted the height_field tga (12 kB) to the binaries.images.group
reply to it)

/PETER/

--
Peter Santo (PUMP development)
Visit: http://www.mp3pump.de

Post a reply to this message

> I have a reduced scene containing a height_field that would cause povwin
> to crash (so I suppose, it's a bug).
>
> I strongly suspect a division by zero error in the height_field code,
> since the error can be avoided if you slightly change the perspective or
> use Jitter when antialiasing output.
>
> My setup:
> Official Version 3.1g.watcom.win32
> Win98 de 4.10.1998
> Pentium II 300 MHz
> 64 MB RAM

> povray will crash if 1) the variable Set_to_zero is zero and 2) you
> disable antialiasing jitter.
>
> I posted the height_field tga (12 kB) to the binaries.images.group
> reply to it)
>
> /PETER/
>
> --
> Peter Santo (PUMP development)
> Visit: http://www.mp3pump.de
> linux quote of the week:
> It _is_ user-friendly.  It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.

I can verify that this does crash the render session at 24% completion in
a predictable manner. I am using the same build of Pov and windows 98 that
Peter is using on a p200 mmx system with 128 megs of ram.

Note: The image Peter used for the height field is an 8 bit compressed targa
file and I was also able to reproduce the fault with an 8 bit uncompressed
targa file. Also note that rendering at a resolution of 100x100 does not
cause it to crash but any higher resolution does.

--
Ken Tyler

Older   Links Page: http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/links.htm
Updated Links Page: http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/bkmrk999.htm