POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : height_field crashes povwin 3.1g : Re: height_field crashes povwin 3.1g Server Time
9 Jun 2024 00:30:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: height_field crashes povwin 3.1g
From: Ken
Date: 7 Aug 1999 12:06:20
Message: <37AC58EE.D0AF0CE2@pacbell.net>
Peter Santo wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a reduced scene containing a height_field that would cause povwin
> to crash (so I suppose, it's a bug).
>
> I strongly suspect a division by zero error in the height_field code,
> since the error can be avoided if you slightly change the perspective or
> use Jitter when antialiasing output.
>
> My setup:
> Official Version 3.1g.watcom.win32
> Win98 de 4.10.1998
> Pentium II 300 MHz
> 64 MB RAM

> povray will crash if 1) the variable Set_to_zero is zero and 2) you
> disable antialiasing jitter.
>
> I posted the height_field tga (12 kB) to the binaries.images.group
> reply to it)
>
> /PETER/
>
> --
> Peter Santo (PUMP development)
> Visit: http://www.mp3pump.de
> linux quote of the week:
> It _is_ user-friendly.  It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.

I can verify that this does crash the render session at 24% completion in
a predictable manner. I am using the same build of Pov and windows 98 that
Peter is using on a p200 mmx system with 128 megs of ram.

Note: The image Peter used for the height field is an 8 bit compressed targa
file and I was also able to reproduce the fault with an 8 bit uncompressed
targa file. Also note that rendering at a resolution of 100x100 does not
cause it to crash but any higher resolution does.

--
Ken Tyler

Older   Links Page: http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/links.htm
Updated Links Page: http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/bkmrk999.htm