POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : "reflection" ignores "metallic" Server Time
28 May 2024 22:36:26 EDT (-0400)
  "reflection" ignores "metallic" (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Ralf Muschall
Subject: "reflection" ignores "metallic"
Date: 15 Apr 1999 21:18:54
Message: <371681E2.7A6607DF@t-online.de>
I just found out that the "reflection" effect (function
"Reflect()" in lighting.c) does not take into account
whether "metallic" is used or not (the latter seems to
affect only "phong" and "specular").

This can bee seen by placing e.g. spheres of silver and
copper side by side (using textures from
include/metals.inc), plus a white lamp near the camera.

The white phong spot on the silver sphere seen reflected
in the copper sphere appears white, not red as I expected.

A workaround is to use a vectorial argument to "reflection"
(ideally a copy from the pigment), but this violates
the orthogonality of the concepts "pigment" and "finish"
and requires error-prone duplicating of input values.

This is in accordance with the manual, so I have no idea
whether it is a bug or intended.

Ralf

Post a reply to this message

Think you are talking about something the "official" POV-Ray does not do
yet, and that would be to reflect the actual light_source rays from one
object onto another. The lamp-light is not going to show the phong (or
surface) color of a reflected object in this case.
Nathan Kopps Photon Patch (uvpov.exe) custom compile of POV will do the
light reflection, however I don't know if it also is capable of keeping
the finishes intact as well.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe