POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Mesh Textures Server Time
1 Jun 2024 10:39:55 EDT (-0400)
  Mesh Textures (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Gordon
Subject: Mesh Textures
Date: 29 Mar 1999 02:29:03
Message: <36ff2bbf.0@news.povray.org>
I am reporting this here as I have been told that this is a bug.

I defined a mesh with textures applied to the individual triangles. Then I
made several copies of that mesh, rotated and translated differently. The
strange thing is, the texture is not in the same place on the copies. What
gives?

In every other case I know, if you copy an object and move it, the texture
goes with the object, you have to translate/scale/rotate the texture
independently to do anything else.

Example:

#declare Fred = mesh{
triangle { <1,1,1>, <1,1,1.5>,<1,1.5,1> texture {T0} }
triangle { <2,1,1>, <2,1,1.5>,<2,1.5,1> texture {T1} }
}

object { Fred } // This one is OK
object { Fred rotate <0,0,45> } // This one is not the same as the other
one! The textures have rotated (I think) 45 degrees the opposite direction
to the mesh. Whatever, the two copies which should be identical, aren't.

Thanks
Gordon
<gbe### [at] birdcameroncomau>

Post a reply to this message

> I am reporting this here as I have been told that this is a bug.
>
> I defined a mesh with textures applied to the individual triangles. Then I
> made several copies of that mesh, rotated and translated differently. The
> strange thing is, the texture is not in the same place on the copies. What
> gives?
>
> In every other case I know, if you copy an object and move it, the texture
> goes with the object, you have to translate/scale/rotate the texture
> independently to do anything else.
>
> Example:
>
> #declare Fred = mesh{
> triangle { <1,1,1>, <1,1,1.5>,<1,1.5,1> texture {T0} }
> triangle { <2,1,1>, <2,1,1.5>,<2,1.5,1> texture {T1} }
> }
>
> object { Fred } // This one is OK
> object { Fred rotate <0,0,45> } // This one is not the same as the other
> one! The textures have rotated (I think) 45 degrees the opposite direction
> to the mesh. Whatever, the two copies which should be identical, aren't.
>
> Thanks
> Gordon
> <gbe### [at] birdcameroncomau>

Post a reply to this message

> > I am reporting this here as I have been told that this is a bug.
> >
> > I defined a mesh with textures applied to the individual triangles. Then I
> > made several copies of that mesh, rotated and translated differently. The
> > strange thing is, the texture is not in the same place on the copies. What
> > gives?
> >
> > In every other case I know, if you copy an object and move it, the texture
> > goes with the object, you have to translate/scale/rotate the texture
> > independently to do anything else.
> >

> This should be fixed in version 3.1e.

It wasn't, or if it was, not in every version.

Regards,
John