POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.7.1 beta 5-- light_group problem? Server Time
28 Apr 2024 08:54:59 EDT (-0400)
  v3.7.1 beta 5-- light_group problem? (Message 5 to 14 of 24)
<<< Previous 4 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: v3.7.1 beta 5-- light_group problem?
Date: 1 May 2017 03:45:01
Message: <web.5906e680cb5fff94a3977ae70@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>

> > This is the correct and expected behaviour and did not change since
> > light_group have been introduced.
> >

> I'm having trouble understanding the logic of this; but maybe it will become
> clearer to me, as I continue to think about it. ;-)

You need to consider the purpose of light groups: They exist to allow additional
local lights for objects, a technique that is frequently used in computer
animations to help make certain objects appear lit "better" - after all, there
is no physical equivalent of light groups in the real world.

What you are looking for is something like "shadow groups", though I suppose you
might want to rethink what you actually want to render.

Post a reply to this message

On 1-5-2017 9:40, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>>

>>> This is the correct and expected behaviour and did not change since
>>> light_group have been introduced.
>>>

>> I'm having trouble understanding the logic of this; but maybe it will become
>> clearer to me, as I continue to think about it. ;-)
>
> You need to consider the purpose of light groups: They exist to allow additional
> local lights for objects, a technique that is frequently used in computer
> animations to help make certain objects appear lit "better" - after all, there
> is no physical equivalent of light groups in the real world.
>
> What you are looking for is something like "shadow groups", though I suppose you
> might want to rethink what you actually want to render.

As for me, that clarifies a lot indeed. Use a bit different than I
expected. I have used light_group is a somewhat different context with a
reddish sundown landscape and a 'midday' lighted moon. I think I got
some unwanted artefacts but I resolved them with no_shadow and
no_reflection.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message