POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.7.1 beta 5-- light_group problem? : Re: v3.7.1 beta 5-- light_group problem? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:36:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.7.1 beta 5-- light_group problem?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 1 May 2017 03:45:01
Message: <web.5906e680cb5fff94a3977ae70@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>

> > This is the correct and expected behaviour and did not change since
> > light_group have been introduced.
> >

> I'm having trouble understanding the logic of this; but maybe it will become
> clearer to me, as I continue to think about it. ;-)

You need to consider the purpose of light groups: They exist to allow additional
local lights for objects, a technique that is frequently used in computer
animations to help make certain objects appear lit "better" - after all, there
is no physical equivalent of light groups in the real world.

What you are looking for is something like "shadow groups", though I suppose you
might want to rethink what you actually want to render.